Fiskars was hungry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished shoveling patio and walks. Decided to try feeding the Fiskars. Cleared 6" snow off teh splitting area. Only managed 4 rounds before the area got so slick I came close to doing a face plant every time I bent over to pick up a split.

At leat it broke teh cabin fever a bit. I might salt the area with some deicer tomorrow. Probably turn it into a mud pit though.

Harry K

edit: forgot to include the picture:

hungry.jpg

Harry K

Last edited:
Finished shoveling patio and walks. Decided to try feeding the Fiskars. Cleared 6" snow off teh splitting area. Only managed 4 rounds before the area got so slick I came close to doing a face plant every time I bent over to pick up a split.

At leat it broke teh cabin fever a bit. I might salt the area with some deicer tomorrow. Probably turn it into a mud pit though.

Harry K

MODS PLEASE move this thread.
It is WAYYY too un-contraversial to be here.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Need to noodle some logs there Harry to provide traction :)

I know "best practice" now for gravel roads is to use sand only and/or just salt at intersections. Reduces the freeze/thaw cycles that make the roads even worse.

Might want to look into a set of these as well:

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/walk

Somebody's making a nice profit at $30/pair, but sure is cheaper then hurting yourself.

Why move it?

It is clear what is going on here.

While some can see the product of hard work. The gains of a job well done , and you are commended on it!

While there are others that will notice that you obviously have more firewood then you need, and how you need to give some of that firewood to others with-out as much.

Last edited:
Need to noodle some logs there Harry to provide traction :)

I know "best practice" now for gravel roads is to use sand only and/or just salt at intersections. Reduces the freeze/thaw cycles that make the roads even worse.

Might want to look into a set of these as well:

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/walk

Somebody's making a nice profit at $30/pair, but sure is cheaper then hurting yourself.

Sorel Caribou pac boots grip pretty well in ice and snow. They are standard footwear for fire/rescue personnel.

Shoe: Not gonna happen. Those pile are my retirement wood. This is the first year I have burned nothing but Locust and I am a bit disappointed in how much I am going through. Looks like around 5 cord for the season which puts me about 10-12 years ahead. One of these years I am gonna have to give up cutting.

Hit it again today. Got 6 or 8 rounds done before two things happened.

hungry2.jpg

1. got to slick again to continue
2. I pooped out :).

Just tossing the splits on a pile - can't do a decent job stacking with 6" of white dirt covering the top of the rick. I much prefer to pile while I split. I hate the look of a pile of splits waiting to be piled - one of my least favorite jobs while "wooding".

I thought the chips would build up to help with the traction but locust doesn't put out many small chips. The "noodle" ideas sounds promising. I think I will try that next go - I still have one saw fueled up.

Note: Hard to make out but th Fiskars is hanging by its head over there about 1/2 way up that last rick. Probably don't need to point it out but...If you leave it out in the weather (I do) put it upside down or the handle will fill with water (ask me how I know) and if it freezes...

Harry K

Last edited:
Harry, I think it's time you get another hobby for days like those. Something a little less stressful. Gott'a learn to relax every now and then. :taped:

Why move it?

It is clear what is going on here.

While some can see the product of hard work. The gains of a job well done , and you are commended on it!

While there are others that will notice that you obviously have more firewood then you need, and how you need to give some of that firewood to others with-out as much.

You can tell where this thread came from.

Nice stacks there Harry!

WTG working in the white dirt!! I remember that stuff..sometimes it turns into white dirt dunes...

no cutting or splitting lately for me, I have been dragging branches up off the ground to go harvest some nebulous time later, thats about it. man, proly did 60 branches today. Patching fences, hauling bales, wading in the soup...dogs like it, playing in the mud, so we just walk mostly. Mud season here, really only have one small string of ditch next to a road to work on, small trees there.. Just started raining again in fact. Ill be switching to saw building shortly in the greenhouse. Got a bunch of projects on the bench and under it.

Retirement wood, yepp!!! Stockpile!

voice mode = Groundskeeper Willie from the Simpsons

Arrrggghhhh! Thats me rrrretirrrrement grrrrease!

Was just out splitting my headlamp tonight ahead of the arrival of white dirt this weekend...

Was glad I had the Fiskars in my hand when I looked up and saw eyes shining back at me and knew the dogs were in the house :D

Just a cat, but man that's a creepy feeling.

Noodles rule!! Thanks for the suggestion Dalmatian.

hungry3.jpg

I only noodled a couple small rounds and was walking on firm footing.

Split pile keeps growing downhill so I am starting a pile at the low end. I took time out to clean the white dirt off the top of the rick as best I could scooping with my hand. Hoping for a sunny day to melt the rest so I can get some of it piled.

The pile of "to be split" isn't going to last long even restricting my work periods to just enough to get the heart rate up. Got lots more in a couple other stacks but it all needs to be moved somewhere else for stacking - prefer to do that in rounds vice split/toss on pile/then haul the splits.

Used dog has learned a new command "Look out!" and he disppears. He almost caught a split the other day when he didn't.

Harry K
Harry K

Boring days. Still working slowly at it to make it last. Stacked all the splits, dug out the white dirt and started the next rick then split/piled all the odds ends. Leaves the two small ricks of rounds still to process then I'll have to move to one of my other big piles and haul splits from there to this area when the snow goes away next spring.

Hungry4_zps2e8c3559.jpg

Weather here is cold. Under a big stagnant high pressure dome - not supposed to move on for another week. 7 degrees now...nope, just checked down to 6 now in only 15 minutes. Highs supposed to stay in the mid/hi20s, low 30s for the next week. Lows keep getting lower every night.

Harry K

Boring days. Still working slowly at it to make it last. Stacked all the splits, dug out the white dirt and started the next rick then split/piled all the odds ends. Leaves the two small ricks of rounds still to process then I'll have to move to one of my other big piles and haul splits from there to this area when the snow goes away next spring.

Hungry4_zps2e8c3559.jpg

Weather here is cold. Under a big stagnant high pressure dome - not supposed to move on for another week. 7 degrees now...nope, just checked down to 6 now in only 15 minutes. Highs supposed to stay in the mid/hi20s, low 30s for the next week. Lows keep getting lower every night.

Harry K
Its getting cold here as well

Back