Fixing and Re-Assembly of Chain Brake for Husqvarna 272xp and 288xp and like models, plus Jonsered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfnh

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Don't start many threads in this forum, so not too sure where this thread belongs.
If should be somewhere else, then maybe a Mod could move it over there.

Thought this write up might be useful for those wanting to repair an inoperative chainbrake that may have broken parts or are basket cases that maybe missing some parts. Along with the IPL's for several related model series, there is a factory service manual that covers disassembly and re-assembly of the chainbrake. Took some photos showing parts and where they go for re-assembly to help. The photos are of the later model 272 & 288's chainbrake specifically, but are relevant to others in the 200 series saws as well as the 50 series and possibly the 300 series.

Photos have the text write up added to the photo mostly cause it seems easier to look at a pic and read the write up next to the pic without having to jump all around. The file names are in alphabetical order which corresponds to the order of assembly and tried to give them meaningful names. Photo quality isn't the best but are small for dial-up folks.

Zip files are posted for the writeup + pics, the service manual, and the IPLs so this stuff can be saved just by downloading these zip files and not have to wade though a bunch of posts saving stuff. Service manual zip file is 3.5 Mb. Writeup and Pics zip is 1 Mb. IPL zip 1/4 Mb.

The 272 IPL does share a few common chainbrake parts with the other models and these are marked (for serial number after 4500001). The 272 IPL for 4500001 and below is included as part numbers are different for some key parts. Also note other parts are common between IPL's other than the 272. One thing to watch with the 272 is the point of transition to the 1997 production year. The 272xp here is serial serial number 9634xxxx, yet the cast part numbers show it belongs to the 1997 series. A transition year. The reason for marking the common small parts is the cost of shipping a 3 dollar part can be 3 times the part cost.

It would have been useful to have the factory numbers for the tension values (or length) of the brake coil spring and handle clip spring. Maybe someone has these, if they exist, and can provide them.

Not having any related Jonsered IPL's, it wasn't possible to check for common parts. If someone has these they'd be handy to include with all the other IPL's.

List of files

272CBIPL-after4500001.jpg
272CBIPL-upto4500001.jpg
288-281CBIPL.jpg
394CBIPL.jpg
50CBIPL.jpg
51-55CBIPL.jpg
aawriteup.txt
abrakeassembly.doc
abrakeassembly.txt
bCB_Parts.jpg
cCB_Tools.jpg
dCB_BrakeEngaged.jpg
eCB_BrakeCoverParts.jpg
fCB_KneeBandCoil.jpg
gCB_FingerSpringInCover.jpg
hCB_FingerSpringKneeLinkIn.jpg
iCB_HandlePartsClipSpringInHandle.jpg
jCB_AttachBrakeHandle.jpg
kCB_BrakeBandCoilSpring.jpg
lCB_CoilSpringCover.jpg
mCB_Complete.jpg
zDocsPics.zip
zIPLs.zip
zServicemanual.zip

Pics in the next couple of posts.
These are the three zip files with all the stuff in them.

View attachment 231223

View attachment 231222

View attachment 231224

231225d1332921915-bcb_parts.jpg

231226d1332922000-ccb_tools.jpg

231227d1332922071-dcb_brakeengaged.jpg

231228d1332922123-ecb_brakecoverparts.jpg

231229d1332922185-fcb_kneebandcoil.jpg

View attachment 231225

View attachment 231226

View attachment 231227

View attachment 231228

View attachment 231229

Last edited:
Adding couple of files here.
First is a zip file of cross referenced parts from Jonsered 600, 2000, 2100 series that share same part numbers as the 272 and 288.

View attachment 231595

The second file is a set of photos of the trigger mechanism and handle parts with a short description of how all of it works. Zip file for downloading:

View attachment 231596

attachment.php

View attachment 231597

NICE!!! write-up...

I will say, those springs are a TOTAL B*TCH to compress in there, from my experience... I had to 'chock' the brake against the ledger board for the porch, and pry the spring in there with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.... :bang:

oh, AS is slow as h*ll the past couple days :(

Last edited:
Would have repped you if I could - need to spread some around first...

Absolutely fantastic writeup. I wish this would have been posted a few months ago, when I had to figure out a 268 brake repair and reassembly. I think I almost poked my eye out.

Nice write-up, will rep you in a bit.

This should come in handy when I attempt to repair the newer-style CB (broken finger spring) on my Jonsered 670.

I helped ya guys out... I Fired off some rep to LFNH...

(New Hampshire?? ...I'm in central MA...)

Chris, while we're on the topic of J-red brakes, isn't the BRAKE BAND the same as the later 61-272 bands??

J

:rock:

Awesome,"Husky " Rides again,local delivery company "smashed" clutch cover & brake lever,very helpful information as usual from an excellent site,keep up the good work :msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup::cool2:

Original five Zip files that contains all pics, writeup and manuals for repairing these chainbrakes:

Re-posted zip files are:
zDocsPics.zip

zIPLs.zip

zServicemanual.zip

J-red-CBIPL.zip

nCB_Off-On.zip

Attachments

• zDocsPics.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • zIPLs.zip
    260.8 KB · Views: 38
  • zServicemanual.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 45
  • J-red-CBIPL.zip
    424.4 KB · Views: 23
  • nCB_Off-On.zip
    144.3 KB · Views: 42
Some new photos to better show the replacement of the Hairspring in chain brake handle and installing Hairpring straight end into correct location below knee linkage. Photos are of 288xp handle, but have been used to fix 394xp. Thanks subhunter!

Standard zip file.

Attachments

• zHandleSprings.zip
    543 KB · Views: 65

Latest posts

Back