Flat plate heat exchanger domestic water

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustyw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need more hot water. I currently have a sidearm for my hot water on my owb. I am wanting to get a flat plate exchanger, I called my boiler dealer and he quoted a 30 plate for about $350. What's the difference between his and ones on eBay for half of that price? What should I look for in a flat plate? I would also like to see some pics of some installed and of the valves installed to clean it out. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a 20 plate on mine and it works awesome! We have 6 people in my house, and endless hot water.

I installed mine with shark bites so it'll come right apart if I need to clean it out.

The only difference between your dealer, and ebay is that if you get yours from ebay, your dealer won't be able to rob you.

I have a 20 plate on mine and it works awesome! We have 6 people in my house, and endless hot water.

I installed mine with shark bites so it'll come right apart if I need to clean it out.

The only difference between your dealer, and ebay is that if you get yours from ebay, your dealer won't be able to rob you.

I used the same thing 3 years ago. Can't run out of hot water as long as there's fire in the stove.

I started with a sidearm. Added a FPHX later - didn't bother removing the sidearm, I just plumbed the FPHX in series with it. It's a 20 plate B&G that my supplier ordered in for me, forget how much but less than $200. You will have to pump it both sides - I got a little B&G E3Ecocirc to pump the domestic side. No shortage of hot water now.

What is your current setup? How big is your DHW tank? Even when I just had only the sidearm, I still had lots of hot water in heating season. Just didn't work good in the non-heating season. It heated an 80 gallon electric hot water heater. Maybe yours just needs flushed?

I didn't get an extra pump. I have a taco 009 pump pulling the water from the owb and sending it to the boiler hx. From there it goes to the DHW hx, and then to my hot tub hx, and then back to the owb.

It's about a 450 run total and it works just fine. The hot tub is the last thing to get heat, and it stays at 104° even now when it's below zero.

I would also suggest adding a mixing valve downstream of the heat exchanger to keep the water from scaulding people at the tap.

I want to add a fphx to my water heater also. The sidearm does a great job except for Sundays when everyone needs to take a shower.

I have a sidearm in one house and a 20 plate in my other house. Only disadvantage of the plate is the fact that it is just so hot. I have it in a closet with a downdraft furnace and that whole room is uncomfortably hot all the time. It's in a mobile home with a 14x 50 addition on it and that room is unusable. Both work great so if you aren't getting enough heat from your sidearm I would make sure it is hooked up properly 1st.

I have a 50 gallon water heater. It seems like it use to heat faster than it does now. I would love to see some pics of ways to clean them out. Leaning towards one on new egg for $178.00 for a 30 plate with 1" ports.

I had a too tall sidearm with a too short tank that did not work well. I went with a 30 plate 4x12 Brazetek flatplate and it works great. I put it in line with the incoming cold water, used unions and a bypasses for summer or to clean it. I also have a mixing valve to control the temp to the house.

A 20 plate 5x12 would be ideal as the 4x12 has the fittings real close together and less surface area per plate.

Also, most codes require double wall so if it leaks the fluids do not mix. They cost a lot more and I don't know anyone who has one. I figure if mine leaks the domestic water pressure would overfill the boiler water.

As far as ebay, make sure it is UL approved and check on the manufacturer with a web search if you go that route.

I have a 10 plate on the cold water inlet with the OWB loop in series with the sidearm. Think about it - the plate exchanger on the inlet heats the water on its way into the tank and the sidearm keeps it hot when the hot water is not in use. Mixing valve is a must.

How do these mount? I would like to put one or two on my stove in the basement to run my floor heat for garage. Stove is between my loops and the electric boiler I use now, so I could Tee in easily. It is plumbed with 1" PEX oxygen barrier now with sharkbite fittings. Will they handle temps up to 700 degrees? I don't know much on OWB. Thinking I can pull side panels off stove, mount directly to firebox, put panels back on and be in business. Thanks

How do these mount? I would like to put one or two on my stove in the basement to run my floor heat for garage. Stove is between my loops and the electric boiler I use now, so I could Tee in easily. It is plumbed with 1" PEX oxygen barrier now with sharkbite fittings. Will they handle temps up to 700 degrees? I don't know much on OWB. Thinking I can pull side panels off stove, mount directly to firebox, put panels back on and be in business. Thanks
I wouldn't do that. Flat plates are for water to water exchange. I wouldn't put pex near a stove. You also might melt the solder on the exchanger.

OK, thanks for the reply. I assumed these were in contact with high temps. I was planning to run copper with about 3-4' away from stove. What is used on an OWB for direct contact with high temps.

OK, thanks for the reply. I assumed these were in contact with high temps. I was planning to run copper with about 3-4' away from stove. What is used on an OWB for direct contact with high temps.

I don't know what you have in mind or are thinking about, but heating DHW with a boiler is done with a water to water heat exchanger - boiler water on one side, DHW water on the other. Could be a sidearm (tube in shell) or flat plate.

20150115_191733.jpg 20150115_191748.jpg Heres a pic of my setup
Got mixing valve on 20 plate with summer bypass plumbed in. Have had to flush once in 5 yrs.

Ok got ya. So what is in the OWB that the water is heated with initially? Is it some type of "radiator" ? What kind of material?

All I am looking for is a a few loops of pipe, or a "radiator" that can be mounted on the outside of stove, that is in my basement, then plumbed in to in-floor heat loop before it gets to my boiler, to preheat or even not use boiler. Pump and expansion tank are all there, I just want to preheat.

What is inside the OWB, is water.

Separated from the fire by a steel box around the fire.

A water jacket.

IMG_4635.JPG Here is my install. You can barely see the black knobs on the left, but I have gate valves to turn off the boiler water and a ball valve bypass if I need to clean it. On the domestic side I have ball valves and a bypass (above not in picture). All pipes have a union next to the exchanger for easy removal if needed.

My heat comes from an outdoor furnace. Fire burns inside, heats the water jacket and is pumped into the house. Pretty simple.

If you plumb boiler drains in on each side, between the shut-off valves & the HX ports, you can shut off & flush with just the closing & opening of a couple of valves. Well, plus the hooking up of hoses & pump to the boiler drains.

Back