Flue liner and chimney sweep costs???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsd176

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This year, probably late summer, I’m going to get an add-on wood furnace. I’m just about set on the Yukon Eagle Big Jack. I bought my house last August so I’ve had to do some investigating to see what all I need to add or update to make the add-on furnace viable. Yesterday I climbed up on my roof to verify that I have two flues coming out of my chimney. One is currently used for my gas furnace and water heater. The other is unused. Once on the roof, I realized two things. One, the unused chimney is unlined and needs some work. Secondly, I’m not a fan of hanging out on my roof. I probably wouldn’t have minded it so much if it were a little easier to get on and off of. After this brief introduction, I have a few questions for everyone.

After inspecting my chimney, it is apparent that I need to install a liner. I’m guessing the easiest thing to do is to get a stainless steel liner. Although I prefer doing everything around my house myself, I don’t feel qualified to install the liner and I’m not a fan of working on the roof right now. Also, I’ll need to punch a new hole in the wall in the basement to hook the flue to the furnace when I get it. It looks like when the previous owner installed the gas furnace, they did some work and blocked up the old flue penetrations and made a new one just for the gas furnace. So my question is, how much do you think it’ll cost me to get the liner and penetration installed by a professional? My stack is about 30’ I’d guess.

My second question is how much does it cost on average to get your flue swept? I originally planned on doing it myself but easy access is a problem and it may cause me to have it done by a pro.

I’d just like a ball park so I know what all I’m getting into.

Around here a local fireman offers chimney sweeping as a side job. To customers he see's on a yearly basis he charges about $75. I would guess it would be more on a chimney that had several years worth of cleaning needed. On the S.S. liner, I've seen prices of $625 for 25 ft. of material only not installed. Scared me too! Maybe it was good stuff, I dont know if that was reasonable or not. REJ2

lasy year it cost me 625. + tax for 25' ss liner kit which included ss"T" and chimney cap. Myself and friend did install.

I've done some searching myself and see where I can get a flue liner for around $600 ~ $650. Depending on what all is involved, I might get my brother-in-law to give me a hand this summer and hook it up. I’m guessing all I have to do is chip a hole in the basement where the previous owner bricked up the previous penetration and then drop the liner down and hook up to the tee. Brick that up, drop the fill material in and throw the cap on? Am I missing anything? Would I need to build a bulkhead at the bottom of the flue so the fill material doesn’t fill up the bottom of the chimney?

So I understand correctly, all I need is the liner, a cap, and a T at the bottom of the run for a clean out? I guess I'll also need to get the fill material to put around the liner?

As far as sweeping the chimney, how often does everyone do it? Although, I didn't like being on my roof last week, I don't think I'll have a problem in the summer. I can get the chimney swept in warm weather, but if there is ice or snow on the roof there is no way anybody can access the chimney.

Cleaning depends on how clean of a burn you are achieveing. Some go once a year, others once a month or more. If your chimney is unlined, you must insulate it. There are a few options as far as insulation go. You can use a product thats basically portland cement and vermiculite mixture that when combined with water you pour it down the chimney and it will harden allowing for some added strength as well as insulating the liner. Some also use vermiculite, or an insulation blanket. If you have the room, an insulation blanket would be one of the better options. But add about 250 to 300 to insulate the chimney. Also when buying a liner, make sure whatever insulation you use is listed for the liner.

I am waiting to have a liner installed in a 35 foot chimney,remove clay liner ,install 6'' ss liner with 2 thimbles,pour concrete around liner,$1700.00 here in Maine by a chimney professional.I had another estimate by a national company ,Supaflue,and it was almost $1000.00 more.

I am waiting to have a liner installed in a 35 foot chimney,remove clay liner ,install 6'' ss liner with 2 thimbles,pour concrete around liner,$1700.00 here in Maine by a chimney professional.I had another estimate by a national company ,Supaflue,and it was almost $1000.00 more.

Man that sounds like a great deal considering the removal of the clay liner.

Why remove the clay liner?

Latest posts

Back