flywheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drifter

Reaction score
Hi Gang, a neighbor dropped off a 18" Sears chainsaw yesterday. Told me that his recoil starter woudn't pull. I took off the side case and rewound the starter rope. Recoil starter worked good when I had it off the chainsaw. But when I tried to pull it---No way. Took it back off and tried turning the flywheel by hand,--tighter than an old Maids bowels. Looked like there was no lubrication on the moving parts. Could he have run it tight because of a lean oil/fuel mixture.
And the big question that I ask, if it is run tight. Is there any way to bring this chainsaw back to life. He is out of town till next week, do I tell him to scrap the chainsaw, or is it worth fixing. Hope you guy's can shed some light on this problem. Thanks for any advice . Will check this site out tomorrow night.
Drifter saying Good Health!!

junk it, it's locked up and parts/labor would exceed the cost of replacement. or sell it on ebay as parts.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
junk it, it's locked up and parts/labor would exceed the cost of replacement. or sell it on ebay as parts.
-Ralph
What he said. Cost to much to rebuild, for the type saw. You could buy a new one for the same cost of the rebuild.

Just wanted to thank you guys for your opinion on the chainsaw. I was afraid that it would be the answer that I thought. I will have to pass on the bad news to my neighbor when he comes home. That is the reason they give you a booklet to read when you buy the chainsaw. I guess he did not follow the proper fuel oil mixture. Thats a pretty expensive lesson to learn!! Thanks again, at least I now have a website to come to, if I have any more questions.
Drifter ,clear on this site.

Latest posts

Back