foam filling stump grinder tires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Daniel,

I have many customers who foam fill their tires. The only issue is when the tread is worn out, you'll have to cut the tires from the rim.

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Most of my customers take it to a tire place that fills them with foam. I would Google foam filling tires in your area. Green slim fills holes. Don't use green slim on chrome wheels as it eats away the chrome on the inside of the tire. I learned this from an experience I had with my vehicle.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

This kind of foam fill is like making the inside of the tire solid rubber. Like Dave says, it does take some time to cut them off the wheel. All of the (5-6,000 lb) forklift tires were filled where I worked years ago. Even though they are solid, there is still give to them. It would never be a problem with grinder tires. I have thought about doing mine. Flats are a pain. I would probably wait and do it to new tires though. Not ready to replace mine yet.

we have filled our skid loader tires as well as an all terrain forklift rear steer tires and never regretted it. on the tires you can get them recapped that would have to be verified on you application but it works great i have seen A LOT of nails in those tires over the years and was thankful we didn't have to go and do field flat repairs.

I have checked on filling my grinder tires with foam. , and decided against it.
1. Filling with foam is quite expensive. I do not remember the cost, but I was shocked at the cost to fill all six of my tires.
2. Filling with foam adds a lot of weight to the operating weight of the machine. I was worried about leaving ruts in lawns with the extra weight.
3. You can pretty much count the wheels as junk, when the filled tires need replaced. Cleaning off the wheels for reuse is not practical in most cases.
With all that being said, I am stll thinking about at least filling the inside duals on my 4012. I hate dealing with flats on those inside tires.
Jeff

I have checked on filling my grinder tires with foam. , and decided against it.
1. Filling with foam is quite expensive. I do not remember the cost, but I was shocked at the cost to fill all six of my tires.
2. Filling with foam adds a lot of weight to the operating weight of the machine. I was worried about leaving ruts in lawns with the extra weight.
3. You can pretty much count the wheels as junk, when the filled tires need replaced. Cleaning off the wheels for reuse is not practical in most cases.
With all that being said, I am stll thinking about at least filling the inside duals on my 4012. I hate dealing with flats on those inside tires.
Jeff

It is expensive. I have not had enough flats to justify the cost yet. Don't let 'em scare you, cutting the filled tire off is not that big of a deal. Cutting the wire beads is the hardest part. The rubber that sticks to the wheel is not that big of a deal. If you are doing another filled tire you don't have to clean it completely, you just need to be able to seat the bead of the new tire. As far as the weight goes you are adding less than 300 pounds. I think my machine is around 3,400lbs. I don't think I would feel the difference.

foam filled tires are a good idea, I've seen people attempt to cut the tire off, when we have customers who want to foam fill there tires we warn them that when the tire wares out to throw the tire and rim out and buy a new rim and tire. its must easier and cost effective

I had one flat this year on my grinder and it was pita.
I hardly reached the trailer and had to load it very carefully, seemed so tippy.
On my way home, i had to stop twice to fill it up again, to prevent it from tipping in a curve.
Fixing the tire was 30$ +1.5hrs travel and tinkering. And no other jobs that day where possible, as it happened afternoon.
I calculated that foam filling a Carlisle extra grip, which are used on many stumpers, should add 14-18kgs (30-40lbs) on each wheel.
This could really result in an improvement in stability (while grinding and driving on slopes) with that weight on the lowest outer points of the machine.
I will contact my tire dealer and will report.

Cheers

Edit:
Except from the fast wearing seeringwheel of a 252, which needs regular replacement, was anyone ever in need to change their stumper tires because of wear, and at how many hrs approx?

had over 4300 hours on mine when sold. Tires had about half of tread when new, still plenty.

Stumper63

Latest posts

Back