Footlock time @ 40 ft. ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblimbwalker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just learned to footlock a few weeks ago and have been practicing every chance I get at work, but mostly on weekends. I had my girlfriend time me today on a 40 ft. ascent (double rope) and my time was 17 secs. I realize that to some of you guys and competition standards this time isn't very impressive, but I feel I am making good progress. So, what is considered a fast, competition time for the footlock @ 40 ft.? Is 40 ft. the standard in competition, or maybe the minimum? Help me out guys. I need a goal to shoot for.

If you are at 17 secs in a few weeks, good for you. I suppose you already knew that when you posted.

Take into account that it is very possible you probably will not score your best time ever at the competition.

I asked M.Bridge, who I think was #2 in Europe, any secrets for footlock. (Sorry to quote you w/out permission Mark.) He said that you should seperate the motions. One motion of reaching up with your hands, another motion of curling with your abs and taking a bite, then here is the trick, ---- Now that your feet are bent under you, stand w/out using your hands. He demonstrated and showed how to practice this. Just take one bite from the ground and try to stand. Put your hands flat behing the rope infront of you to keep from falling but flat to keep from holding the rope as well.

The end result of this tech is a smooth motion. ie - you move from curled to FULLY stretched in one motion. Emphasis on fully stretched.

Seems you have accomplishe the most important goal.........NOT having to air hump 40ft up a tree. What difference does it make if it takes 17secs or 22 secs?

Last edited:
17 seconds is good. Good enough usually to aquire points in the event. my best time is around 20 seconds or so. im only 5-9" footlocking is one event where everybit of reach helps. The tall skinny beans seem to be at an advantage:D

keep practicing, you're only 6 seconds away from the world record!!

Originally posted by TREETX
If you are at 17 secs in a few weeks, good for you. I suppose you already knew that when you posted."Seems you have accomplishe the most important goal.........NOT having to air hump 40ft up a tree. What difference does it make if it takes 17secs or 22 secs?

Hence my statement in the thread starter,
"...but I feel I am making good progress." Believe me TX, if I were going to brag I wouldn't come here to do it.

I've done plenty of air humping over the past few years. It wasn't until I bought my Pantin that I stopped wearing myself out with that self-torturous method. While on the job my goal is not to footlock fast, I take my time and conserve energy, but I am interested in entering a TCC by this time next year, so that's the 'difference it makes in 17 secs, or 22 secs'. Also, thanks for passing along the advice Mark Bridge gave you, sounds like a good technique for practice.

I thought Rip Thompkins had the record at 10.something seconds. That is what Sean Gere told us at one of those arbor masters classes. Oh well I'm not possitive. I have never timed myself. I'd like to try out the compitition once in a while.

My advice would be to start practicing at 50ft +; they upped the height last year. Bascically a 40 foot time means nothing. Try to get your 50 foot time down around the low twentys if you plan on getting points. Teens usually will be the winning time.
In pitts the top times for the f/l were around 15-16sec.

Curtis James said:
I thought Rip Thompkins had the record at 10.something seconds. That is what Sean Gere told us at one of those arbor masters classes. Oh well I'm not possitive. I have never timed myself. I'd like to try out the compitition once in a while.
Sorry, Craig is always right.

So it's fifty foot now huh? I wasn't sure as I said. Just what I had heard. I would like to check out the competition this year. I haven't ever been to a competition or one of those trade shows. Am I missing out or what?

If your interested in competing, dont wait a year. Since your in the southern chapter, you could compete next spring. You are doing well to hit 40' in 17sec. I know a lot of guys that cant hit 20 and have practiced for a long time.

Like TJunkie said, they upped the height this yr. Start practicing at 60'. That way 50 will be a breeze.

If you are totally interested though in winning the comp, focus more on the work climb and arial rescue, and pray a top competitor drops his handsaw. Ive seen more than one event go to a 'top climber' rather than the winner.

okietreedude1 said:
focus more on the work climb and arial rescue, and pray a top competitor drops his handsaw. Ive seen more than one event go to a 'top climber' rather than the winner.

David, now you know nothing like that could ever happen... :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back