For the True CADdict only

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the white screws and gasket material on the right side cover mean it's a repaint. Notice the normal color screws elsewhere in this pic. Hmmm. Stihl, it looks to be in good condition.

Third or fourth picture from the far right shows teh difference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-090-Chainsaw/222584246849?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=41376&meid=2a8121def9af438bbe38246cd0d1d3d9&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=162365972826

Does the saw still have the plastic case protector behind the sprocket? At least the clutch cover doesn't look butchered. While no A/V, the gear drives vibe noticeably less than the standard 090. These big geardrive saws really only shine in big wood with 72" or longer bars or running 1/2" full chisel (good luck) in the PNW, Aussie wood may be a different story though. I'd take a direct drive 090 with AV over an 088/880 any day. Sold both my ported 088 & 880, kept the 090's, they freaking pull, ported OR stock.

Does the saw still have the plastic case protector behind the sprocket? At least the clutch cover doesn't look butchered. While no A/V, the gear drives vibe noticeably less than the standard 090. These big geardrive saws really only shine in big wood with 72" or longer bars or running 1/2" full chisel (good luck) in the PNW, Aussie wood may be a different story though. I'd take a direct drive 090 with AV over an 088/880 any day. Sold both my ported 088 & 880, kept the 090's, they freaking pull, ported OR stock.

Thanks for the input. I like the idea of torque unstoppable more than speed. My 660 bogs more easily than I think it should, as does teh 056M2, which supposedly has lots of torque. I wish they stihl made gear drive saws, or at least an attachment. I don't much care about chain speed, I'm not racing anyone or anything. What pitch can an 090 run? Can it go small as 3/8? I really don't know; I've never seen one of these saws up close.

Thanks for the input. I like the idea of torque unstoppable more than speed. My 660 bogs more easily than I think it should, as does teh 056M2, which supposedly has lots of torque. I wish they stihl made gear drive saws, or at least an attachment. I don't much care about chain speed, I'm not racing anyone or anything. What pitch can an 090 run? Can it go small as 3/8? I really don't know; I've never seen one of these saws up close.
3/8 is fine on a 090g with a short bar

Buyer beware on this 090g. When a guy list a saw on eBay as excellent condition and all original far as he can tell but has a sloppy repaint there's a good chance there could be other more serious issue's. And the fact he's saying it's a 137 CC top end and saying it's all original would also lead me to believe it's not 137 cc but more likely 106 like original.

Buyer beware on this 090g. When a guy list a saw on eBay as excellent condition and all original far as he can tell but has a sloppy repaint there's a good chance there could be other more serious issue's. And the fact he's saying it's a 137 CC top end and saying it's all original would also lead me to believe it's not 137 cc but more likely 106 like original.
Good point. I thought about that as well. I figure if it's good or can be made good at this point in time it's worth a new 880, which seems to be where it's headed, but I'd be concerened about parts availability, metal fatique, and so forth. I think a new 880 would be a safer investment in the long run.

Good point. I thought about that as well. I figure if it's good or can be made good at this point in time it's worth a new 880, which seems to be where it's headed, but I'd be concerened about parts availability, metal fatique, and so forth. I think a new 880 would be a safer investment in the long run.

Good point -- parts aren't too difficult to find for an 090, but the parts specific to the 090G certainly are.

Having said that, I don't know if I agree with the comparison to an 880. I'd be willing to bet that it's going to sell to a collector, not someone who plans to use it on a regular basis.

Good point -- parts aren't too difficult to find for an 090, but the parts specific to the 090G certainly are.

Having said that, I don't know if I agree with the comparison to an 880. I'd be willing to bet that it's going to sell to a collector, not someone who plans to use it on a regular basis.

I meant for a big saw to have and use over the next few decades, I think I'd go with the 880, or a 3120, which seems a bit cheaper these days... oh no it's the end times, the antistihl is here wiling its way into our hearts....:laugh:

Back