Forced Induction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Reaction score
Can you pressurize a two stroke carb? Will the diaphragm still work?? How about the seal on the crank? How much psi do you think they can handle?? Ive seen turbo sleds........

What about a strato saw, say.......575, add a second carb instead of the air valve?? What would happen if you add air and fuel to those strato ports?

My buddy has a desire to put a turbo on a saw, he found a tiny turbo on ebay for a buck and a half. I have a few 575 caracas's laying around we could whip together. I wish we had a non strato 80+cc saw to play with, but if were gonna melt one down, might as well be one Im not fond of, and have a few bits for. I think I even recall 350cc banshee's turbo'd up. So Im pretty sure you can turbo a two stroke, but what do you all think????

Back to the 575, any way to "delete" the strato? So we can only have to worry about the single carb??

Turbocharged chainsaw would be interesting. We can then change the paradigm in saws to Cubes vs. HP. Thinking of 50cc turbocharged saws pulling longer bars effectively- It would be a great service to all CAD sufferers.

I believe McCulloch's BP-1 would fit the definition of a super pressurized two stroke - more on the lines of a supercharger than a turbo as the additional pressurization is post-carb. But nonetheless it might give you some ideas of what is possible. Ron

so do you mean turbo or supercharger? i dont think a two stroke puts out enough exhaust pressure for a turbo but maybe? maybe a supercharger off of the pull cord side of the saw. the sound would be awesome whooooop ping pop!!

images

Ive got one of these.

Im thinking about adding one of these:
MKIV-Supra-Intercooler-01.jpg

You would need a fuel pump to pressurize the fuel system. What if you machined an adaptor to take place of the starter and have a remote starter that would fit the adaptor. You would also have to mount the fuel pump and drive system. As far as a nozzle you could make a plate to bolt up to the bottom of a carb and drill/tap a nozzle into it. Now you need a machinist, time, and a lot of money to make it happen.

XSKIER said it best. Pipe it

The lube system will be very complex and expensive.
I doubt the turbo will be small enough. Think exhaust flow of 80cc.
Adding fuel is easy, carb mounted to intake. aka. draw thru.

The turbo says 150cc-400cc, so I know that a saw is a little small. That is why im trying to convince him to put his 084 or 076 on the table. As for the oiling system, it is pressure fed oil of course, but for a couple of cants, I figured just fill it with amsoil and plug it off, maybe give it a expansion blatter/overflow tank. Three cuts, hopefully fast..... how long till bearings fry?
Xskier, Hey he and I both have saws with pipes, were just trying something else.
PlanB, hmmmm you think the carb mounted up stream of the impellars???

The lube system will be very complex and expensive.
I doubt the turbo will be small enough. Think exhaust flow of 80cc.
Adding fuel is easy, carb mounted to intake. aka. draw thru.
No on the draw through carb.

Kaboom waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I understand the fear of kaboom, but a roots blower with two holleys sitting on top of them are being drawn through. They actually use the fuel to help cool the rotors. Ive never seen a screw blower pulling through though. Never heard of a turbo either, or centrifugal for that matter. Have a few books, Ill have to do some reading........

Elect, my next door neighbor is a machinist, he owns the local machine shop. at his house he has a bridgeport. Has more toys than I can even fathom. Tools that make tools, that make tools. Its the wonder if it will actually work before I spend too much time on it that has me...............................

I understand the fear of kaboom, but a roots blower with two holleys sitting on top of them are being drawn through. They actually use the fuel to help cool the rotors. Ive never seen a screw blower pulling through though. Never heard of a turbo either, or centrifugal for that matter. Have a few books, Ill have to do some reading........
Yup I've always seen the screw and turbos injected. Wondering how start up would be initiated with a turbo no exhaust to spin it at start would cause issues. I've always seen turbo carbs pressurized.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I don't think start up would be a issue, the old 2.3 ford turbo was a carb before injected. The piston going down is till gonna create a vacuum to suck fuel/air. Deff gonna be a blow through carb. I was busy all day and so was my buddy ritchie, Gotta ask him tomorrow if he bought the turbo yet.

What about blower being driven buy the clutch?As soon as the chain starts moving the blower would be engaged.This sounds feasible however getting the jetting and plumbing could be a nightmare., Ken

I'm building a draw-thru propane turbo buggy. Really the only issue would be a backfire and blowing out the diaphram in the mixer.

Apparently to do a draw through you need a special draw through turbo, the seals will be different able to handle the fuel. Graphite I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't think start up would be a issue, the old 2.3 ford turbo was a carb before injected. The piston going down is till gonna create a vacuum to suck fuel/air. Deff gonna be a blow through carb. I was busy all day and so was my buddy ritchie, Gotta ask him tomorrow if he bought the turbo yet.

The turbo says 150cc-400cc, so I know that a saw is a little small. That is why im trying to convince him to put his 084 or 076 on the table. As for the oiling system, it is pressure fed oil of course, but for a couple of cants, I figured just fill it with amsoil and plug it off, maybe give it a expansion blatter/overflow tank. Three cuts, hopefully fast..... how long till bearings fry?
Xskier, Hey he and I both have saws with pipes, were just trying something else.
PlanB, hmmmm you think the carb mounted up stream of the impellars???

The ford 2.3 is draw thru carb.
150 to 400cc range is too large, I think they just made up some numbers. 150cc flow won't turn a turbo sized for 400cc.
Carb mounted infront of the inlet is the only way to go.
How are you pressure feeding the lube? what are you running the pump with? Think "accusump" with a catch can.

Back