Ford 800 with altec 60 foot working height.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Guys, need a little input on what you guys think of a 1997 Ford 800 with an Altec boom , 60 foot working height, Cummings engine with an automatic Alison transmission. It's a 4 doors, an was owned by the city of Davie in Florida. Do you think this is a good truck because not very familiar with this truck. Thanks

The Duffer:)

"Its a 4 doors" Do you mean it's a crew cab? Does that then make the truck longer than it's 2 door version. If so, will a longer truck pose problems for access and turning radius?

I like a manual trans in my bucket. Never had a bucket with auto. Cummins usually makes decent motors.

An Altec boom is a good boom. I have a 60ft Altec and love it.

The Truck is 29 FT long and yes i did mean crew cab,I as well drive a manual but a Friend of mine said the Alison trans, is very strong. I do not know

Some of the Allisons had problems, but it was mainly vehicles that stop and start alot....like schools buses etc... And even when they do go bad it's not a bad fix.

Thanks for the info, can someone tell me how long is a regular bucket truck in length, this truck is 29 FT, i am just wondering how it would be for turning?:chainsaw:

The Truck is 29 FT long and yes i did mean crew cab,I as well drive a manual but a Friend of mine said the Allison trans, is very strong. I do not know

BucketTruck.jpg

BucketTruck2.jpg

That's a whole lotta truck man. If you plan on doing a lot of resi work with it, you will probably not like the maneuverability. I could look up some WB lengths, but just looking I'm gonna say 4ft longer turning radius easy. Would be a major PITA. As far as the Allison trannys in the HD trucks, they are good. Time tested, would not be a factor in my purchase.

had a altec aa600 boom that did not like, it is slow and not agile. have a altec overcenter boom now, a lot better unit in my opinion.

allison trans should not be a problem, cummins is a plus on the engine.

Latest posts

Back