Ford Dump Trucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey I have a random question but just thought I'd post it here anyways. I have heard a lot of bad things about the ford automatic transmissions. Now if you would get a manual transmission would you run into these same problems or not? Lets please not get into a brand war or anything just wondering. Thanks

i am not getting one really anytime soon but down the road i hope to have one and am just curious. It would be either 450 or 550

I've got an 05 f-250 w/ a 5 speed torq shift. Dealer haven't heard many issues w/them.

That said I prefer manual trannies on heavier trucks especially if you towing a trailer of any weight.

My Dad' 97 F250 7.3 Powerstroke with auto. Pulled horse trailers,farm wagons, and general farmwork. Had 242,000 and never had trouble with the tranny. Only had trouble with one at my work and that was still under warranty-some snap ring came loose and a gear wore a hole in the housing. We've had half a dozen F350 thru F450.

Mechanics I have talked to prefer Chevy for pulling, Fords for looking at, and Dodges for saving money, but only at purchase price. :)

It depends on how old a truck your looking at.Since the 6.0 Liter PSD in 03,they used torqueshift 5 speed auto.The 03/04's had issues,that were resolved,they seem to be a solid trans now.The older 4 speed auto trucks,with the 7.3PSD,I wouldnt want one of them if you were going to run loaded all the time,transmissions are worked real hard,most of the 4 speed autos went out under 50K miles on 450/550s that plow/tow heavy.
If you are willing to waiver from Ford,dont count out the used C4500/5500 Chevy/GMC's when you search for a truck.They are solid,and have the allison auto behind the duramax diesel or 8100 big block,both solid powertrains.They have much better visability,turning radius,and are heavier duty than the Ford450/550.Transmissions are better,and IMO,so are the engines.

I have a 2000 f250 4x4 auto and have had 3 trans. The first went out at 70,000 the second at 85,000, and the dealer would not warranty it because it had a chip in it before I bought the truck and the cover of the PCM was missing. I had Brians Truck Shop (BTS) build a trans that I now run with a chip and have 160,000 miles with no problems and love the truck. If you buy a used auto it would be something to think about. The 7.3l is a great motor, cant go wrong with it.

I have a 2000 f250 4x4 auto and have had 3 trans. The first went out at 70,000 the second at 85,000, and the dealer would not warranty it because it had a chip in it before I bought the truck and the cover of the PCM was missing. I had Brians Truck Shop (BTS) build a trans that I now run with a chip and have 160,000 miles with no problems and love the truck. If you buy a used auto it would be something to think about. The 7.3l is a great motor, cant go wrong with it.

I've heard nothing but great things about those BTS trans.
Dok

but in general will the manual transmitions hold up longer? I know a new clutch may need put in from time to time but that really isn't a big deal.

I think it comes down to the fact a manual transmission has less parts. Less parts = less breakage. Heat is what destroys an automatic transmission. If you can keep an auto cool, it will last, but how easy is it going to be to keep a giant automatic in a large truck carrying heavy loads cool? What you give up in the convenience of driving the auto is outweighed by the simplicity and durability of the manual trans in my opinion.

The diesels tend to to tear the transmissions up (autos) if you put a lot of power to the motor, or you town in hot conditions, overweight etc. If you maintain them and dont hot rod them, they hold up fairly well.

I dont know if this covers what you are looking into, but the F-650-750 dump trucks with the 6 speed manuals trannys are junk. The tranny is specifically. We had 3 of them with under 10,000 miles in for tranny rebuilds recently, and from what corporate says, its a widespread problem. Ford has yet to issue a recall or service bulletin on this problem.

but in general will the manual transmitions hold up longer? I know a new clutch may need put in from time to time but that really isn't a big deal.

Yes and no. A lot depends upon the driver / drivers. Sometimes an auto is the way to go for someone that has less then ideal stick driving experience, "if you can't find em grind em". As a rule of thumb I would say that a manual tranny will out last an auto.

Does it have to be a Ford?

It would seem that you are correct. I just googled a bit and found out that they may be having a problem with tranny's in the heavy trucks.

Then I went and did a google on the competition... Dodge.
It seems that they are holding up better.

Manual transmissions can have interesting problems as well. Maybe more reliable in some circumstances. A large diesel engine is going to be brutal on any transmission behind it.

Curios tidbit, almost all the "heavy earth movers" have a automatic tranny. Probably not quite the same as you would find in a dumptruck... Somewhat larger, and specialized to it's task. How big would a clutch be for a 1000HP engine anyway??

-Pat

I have wasted auto tranny's in all of the big 3 over the years. According to some here, I guess that would mean they are all junk.....LOL. If you want durability, go with a standard tranny. For the most part the clutch is the weak link, as it should be. I have had good luck with auto's in the past, but when the GVW and torque and work load go way up, you should be running a standard IMHO. Ford, Chevy, Dodge it doesn't matter. They have all built piles and they have all built great ones, it just depends on what year your talking about. Get what fits you and leave the blinders at home.

I perfer a manual trans in a truck,I have had problems with my gm half ton trans in the pass. The only problem is the truck companys are not offering them very much any more,I dont think gm is offering them in any 1/2,3/4 or 1-ton any more. No one wants a real truck they want a grocery getter and to be lazy. Just my thoughts

Last edited:
I perfer a manual trans in a truck,I have had problems with my gm half ton trans in the pass. The only problem is the truck companys are not offering them very much any more,I dont think gm is offering them in any 1/2,3/4 or 1-ton any more. No one wants a real truck they want a grocery getter and to be lazy. Just my thoughts

Yep I noticed that it's getting nearly impossible too get a manual trans in a full sized light pickup. Mine have always been manuals but I guess there will come a day?

While on the lighter end of your shopping list, my 1995 F350 flatbed dump does have 156,000 miles on the powertrain, and everything still operates plenty smooth. The dump is pto operated, so that's just more work for the tranny to do, and I'm satisfied with it.
I'm looking to upgrade to a heavier truck in the future; diesel,heavier gvw, 4wd(or posi) and supercab, ideally.

I like a manual just because you have better control over the truck IMO. My International has a 3 speed with a 2 speed rear. I just love the 2 speed rear end and was wondering if any of the Fords, Chevy's or Dodges have 2 speed rears in them in the 1/2 , 3/4 or 1 tons.
My son told me one day while we were traveling in the International "Dad I wouldn't want to take this thing on a date" :laugh:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back