Forester Hi-Viz Wrap Chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Chaps are basic personal protective equipment (PPE) for saw use. High visibility (Hi-Viz) garments are required in certain work places. So, Hi-Viz chaps can be a good choice for some chainsaw users.

Forester is known for their value oriented products. They offer a range of apron, wrap, and bib-style chainsaw chaps, in a variety of colors; including a couple of camo patterns (I guess for guys who want to sneak up on their trees?). The Hi-Viz option is available in a few different styles, so read the descriptions carefully if comparison shopping.

I compared full-wrap styles: one with conventional buckles, and another with zipper-style leg closures. Some pairs of an all-Velcro, 'Slap Chap' closure, now discontinued, might also be found.

IMG_0657 - Version 2.jpg IMG_0878.jpg

Both pairs are labeled as UL Classified to meet ASTM F1897-2014 (USA) and CAN/BNQ 1923-450-M91 Class B (Canada) chainsaw protection standards. 'Also meets or exceeds Part 8 of the WorkSafeBC standard'. They are tagged as meeting Class E, Type 2 of the ANSI/ISEA 107-2015 High Visibility standard.

IMG_0877.jpg

So sawyers can be seen on either side of the 49th parallel in these.

Philbert

Hi-Viz

Hi-Viz garments are required for work near roadways, under a variety of OSHA and DOT rules. They are also good practice for working around heavy equipment (skidders, grapples, excavators, etc.), distracted co-workers, etc., in the woods or on a landing.

IMG_0867.jpg

The ANSI 107 standard is somewhat technical, but it usually requires a minimum of a vest (Class 2), and sometimes, additional, florescent or reflective material on arms (Class 3), legs, hats, etc. These chaps, with their blinding bright fabric, and reflective stripes, do not meet those requirements on their own, but can when worn with an appropriate vest, shirt, coat, etc.

They are also pretty hard to miss when aiming your chainsaw.

IMG_0708.jpg IMG_0874.jpg

Hi-Viz loses its effectiveness when it gets dirty, so washability is important. The HI-Viz standard requires the garment to maintain its florescent and reflective properties over a specified number of washings. The various protective fibers used in most chaps are affected by heat (washing or drying) and bleach (a big 'no-no'), so special care is required. The instructions (packages and care labels) for these chaps specify: 'Wash by hand in cold water. Hang to dry'.

IMG_0665.jpg

Philbert

So.... I missed the section that said which ones we would find the strippers using this year...

Similar Features

The stitching, finish, materials, and overall quality of these feel good. The exteriors are a heavy, polyester fabric to resist abrasion.

The wrap portions on both chaps are integral to each leg, not added on, as with some wrap chaps. There are four buckles per leg on the buckle style, and a large tooth, heavy zipper on each leg of the other style. Rear leg coverage is about the same for both versions.

IMG_0871.jpg

There is a slim pocket (about 6 by 8 inches) on the left leg of the adjustable chaps which would be OK for a scrench, one wedge, or a cell phone. The pocket on the zipper chaps is smaller (about 5 by 6 inches), but I was able to slide my iPhone in there. Personally, pockets on chaps just seem to fill up with sawdust anyway, but they are good to have for matching repair material, if needed!

The waist buckles on these chaps hold, but strap tension releases easier than I would like, if the buckles gets bumped. The zipper pair came with a slider on the belt to reduce this from happening. Since I often wear chaps with suspenders, this may not be a practical problem for me, but firmer holding buckles would be an improvement.

Philbert

Buckle Chaps Impressions

IMG_0659.jpg IMG_0661.jpg

A unique design feature is adjustable sizing: the chaps are sewn with 3, separate sleeves for the web belt, which create a 36”, 39”, or 42” out-seam length, while the 26-1/2” inseam remains the same. The chaps' rise (crotch to waist band measurement) changes from about 9” to 15-1/2” (the protective pads cover up to 3” from the bottom of the belt in the lowest position). The web belt adjusts up to about a 48” maximum waist.

This could be a nice feature for groups or families that share chaps among multiple saw users.

No instructions are provided, but once you get the idea, it is not too difficult for the user to place the web belt in one of the 3 sleeves, and to fold any extra material over so that the hook and loop ('Velcro') strips hold it in place.

IMG_0669.jpg IMG_0668.jpg

These fit me well in the shortest position: they cover what needs to be covered, and I can move comfortably. The inseam is good. The rise is good. But I am not sure how these would fit with taller users: if the extended rise would interfere with movement, with the belt in the upper sleeves. Taller users might need to open up this seam a few inches.

Because the web belt slides loosely into one of the selected sleeves, it takes two hands to cinch the buckle tight (the belt slides). That could be a minor surprise for folks used to one-handed belt tightening. If this is a problem, and the chaps are only worn by users of the same height, they might want to lightly stitch / tack the belt in place

The legs fit me with straps fully tightened (about 5.8 inches in diameter, or 18-1/2 inches in circumference). This means that there is lots of protective overlap and warmth: approximately 1/3 of the ankle and calf areas. An individual wearer might want to consider tying up the extra strap material with twist ties, rubber bands, etc, to prevent the possibility of snagging something, once the length is established.

The adjustable height, buckle style wrap chaps weighed 3 lbs 9.4 oz on a postal scale.

Philbert

Zipper Chaps Impressions

IMG_0864.jpg IMG_0865.jpg

The zippered chaps have a more conventional waist strap, with snaps that allow it to be folded over and held in place, adjusting overall length by about 2-inches. They are offered in 3 sizes: the 'Medium' fit me. This pair has a 26-inch practical inseam (the split between the legs actually extends to 2 or 4-inches from the top of the belt, depending on its position), and a 35 or 37-inch outseam. The web belt also fits up to about a 48” maximum waist.

The zippers are intended to simplify 'donning and doffing' (putting them on and taking them off). But they also eliminate buckles and straps that can get snagged in brush, or left hanging. The trade offs include the lack of any adjustment: you can't snug them up tighter around your calves, or loosen them up if wearing heavy clothing underneath. Zippers can also be more difficult to repair or replace than buckles and straps if something gets damaged.

IMG_0870.jpg

I found these easiest to put on by zipping up each leg first, then pulling the rest of the chaps up and securing the waist belt. The zippers are on the right side of each leg (sorry lefties), with a snap at the bottom to help keep them closed. Each leg also has a single strap and buckle in the middle of the thigh.

Leg diameter, fully zipped is about 6.7 inches, or about 21 inches in circumference. Without boots, I can slip my legs in and out, without unzipping them.

The zipper style wrap chaps, Medium size, weighed 3 lbs 1.7 oz.

Philbert

Too bad there are no zipper covers or that the zippers are not taped.

General Wrap Chaps Comments

I prefer full-wrap chaps, for the added protection they offer, but have a pet peeve with some designs which can allow the rear, protective portion of the pads to move, exposing parts of the leg that should be covered. This was a big surprise to me when I found the back of my legs fully exposed, once, after a day of cutting, while wearing a different brand of chaps.

This was not a problem for me, personally, with this buckle pair, since I tightened the straps fully, which prevents any possible gap. Folks with beefier calves may want to add a few stitches ***through the outside fabric only*** to hold the straps and pads in place, if needed.

On the zipper chaps, there is about a 4-inch flap of protective material that spans the zipper path, which is only held in place along one edge. I could see this flap possibly becoming moved, especially if worn by someone with smaller legs, which could leave about a 3-inch gap in coverage. Patches or strips of Velcro would be nice on these flaps, to fix them in place before each leg is zipped.

IMG_0869.jpg

Philbert

Not to hijack your thread Philbert, but as a kid I remember seeing my grandpa wear chaps that were knee length or stopped right below the knee. I think they were red.

Do they still make chaps like that?

P.S. the hi-vis chaps look good. I have to wear hi-vis at work on certain projects, so appreciate their value from a safety perspective.

Not to hijack your thread Philbert, but as a kid I remember seeing my grandpa wear chaps that were knee length or stopped right below the knee. I think they were red.

Do they still make chaps like that?

P.S. the hi-vis chaps look good. I have to wear hi-vis at work on certain projects, so appreciate their value from a safety perspective.
Fencing chaps?

No, saw chaps. He only wore then when cutting logs or firewood.

Are they called fencing chaps?
Not sure now, fencing chaps are knee length to handle barb wire.

But now that you ask, I think I have saw what you describe. Like this?

Not sure I've ever really seen images of someone cutting through their thigh.
41ef8ab4c6e8f3fc4fc7f7b1f3244198.jpg

as a kid I remember seeing my grandpa wear chaps that were knee length or stopped right below the knee. I think they were red.
I am sure that lots of things were tried through the years. But those would not meet current standards for coverage. Especially, since a large percentage of cuts occur to the lower legs.

AC6544C3-0E29-40E0-81FA-F6C3F897CFFC.jpeg

Philbert

Back