Is this ebay PPE junk? Anyone ever try it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobosocky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
China is involved. Question, though - are husq and stihl PPE made in China at this point too?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chain-Saw-S...Woodcutters-/361356408956?hash=item542285387c

Ad says that 3M makes the stuff they use to stop the saw.. wondering if it's the same guts as the name brands?

Says it meets OHSA and ANSI certifications too.

Specs/Features:
Chaps:

Chaps are UL Classified and tested in accordance with ASTM F1897 Standards for Leg Protective Garments.

Helmet:
Meets ANSI/ISEA Z89.1-2009 Type 1, Class E, G and C.

Screen:
Meets Basic ANSI Z87.1 Requirements

Muffs:
Meets ANSI S12.42 21 dB Rating

Glasses:
Glasses meet or exceed all applicable requirements for compliance with ANSI Z87.1-2003 standards.

Just because it says it is compliant does not make it so. Ask them for a copy of the accreditation. I do not think PPE is something you want to cheap out on
Off the cuff whats the cost of an emerg visit?

Completely agree. I was searching for real kits and that popped up, just curious.

Here in Ontario Stihl has a kit called the wood cutters kit, chaps helmet system and sunglasses 100.00. Do they offer such a think in your part of the states? I have several pairs of chaps, that have served me well. I have raked the saw across them a few times, never when the saw was running so they have saved me a trip in for some staples a time or 3 . I feel like a guy from the Pro Bass tour with all the patches on them LOL

Here in Ontario Stihl has a kit called the wood cutters kit, chaps helmet system and sunglasses 100.00. Do they offer such a think in your part of the states? I have several pairs of chaps, that have served me well. I have raked the saw across them a few times, never when the saw was running so they have saved me a trip in for some staples a time or 3 . I feel like a guy from the Pro Bass tour with all the patches on them LOL

I need to go to the dealer to see. Actually my wife is Canadian and with the exchange rate we've been looking at buying lots of stuff in Canada while visiting her family.

$100 CAD is $75 USD right now.

I need to go to the dealer to see. Actually my wife is Canadian and with the exchange rate we've been looking at buying lots of stuff in Canada while visiting her family.

$100 CAD is $75 USD right now.

if you visit the gta I will hook you up

if you visit the gta I will hook you up

Thanks. My wife just won 4 Syracuse football tickets and the in-laws might be coming down to go to the game this weekend.

You are happy with the quality of that kit? I can't find much info on it, other than it is at Canadian Stihl vendors.

I'm going to ask her dad to grab one for me on the way down.

Personally I think ppe is one place to not be cheap. Buy the cheapest stuff you can find but buy it from reputable companies if your on a budget

Thanks. My wife just won 4 Syracuse football tickets and the in-laws might be coming down to go to the game this weekend.

You are happy with the quality of that kit? I can't find much info on it, other than it is at Canadian Stihl vendors.

I'm going to ask her dad to grab one for me on the way down.

They are a light duty pair of chaps 4 layers IIRC.

The vendor is reputable, and has a good eBay rating. I'd ask for MSDS sheets, and if they look good, go for it. If Stihl sells a set for $100, it's not a stretch to say it's available for less elsewhere.

The certifications / classifications / test requirements for each item (UL, ANSI, ASTM, etc.) are minimum requirements. They do not mean that they are 'the same' as other items meeting these specifications. Organizations such as the Safety Equipment Institute (http://www.seinet.org/), Underwriters Laboratories (http://ul.com/), and others, are supposed to provide independent verification that items meet the applicable standards, for a fee. Some companies 'self test' to save money. A few might misrepresent their products. Compliance does not mean that they are good quality, will fit well, hold up to use, or that repair/replacement parts are available (buckles for the chaps, suspensions for the helmet, etc.).

OSHA does not 'certify' anything.

Forrester has built a business 'copying' other stuff and making it cheaply in China. Does not mean that it is good. Does not mean that it is bad. Usually competes on low price. Up to you to decide if it is 'good enough' for you. Probably better than going without.

Basic chaps can be bought for $60 at Bailey's, Lowes, etc. Basic helmets for $40. Those safety glasses; $2 (!). Better quality stuff will cost you more. In this case, 'better' may mean: more protective, more comfortable, lasts longer, etc. Again, up to you. If this price means the difference between buying and not buying PPE, go for it, but understand the potential limitations.

Philbert

P.S.
"Ad says that 3M makes the stuff they use to stop the saw.. wondering if it's the same guts as the name brands?"

Different manufacturers use different types and layers of protective materials in chainsaw chaps. Some use Kevlar, some use polyester, some use other stuff or combinations of stuff. The testing requirements are based on performance, not content.

The certifications / classifications for each item (UL, ANSI, etc.) are minimum requirements. They do not mean that they are 'the same' as other items meeting these specifications. Organizations such as the Safety Equipment Institute (http://www.seinet.org/), Underwriters Laboratories (http://ul.com/), and others, are supposed to provide independent verification that items meet the applicable standards, for a fee. Some companies 'self test' to save money. A few might misrepresent their products. Compliance does not mean that they are good quality, will fit well, hold up to use, or that repair/replacement parts are available (buckles for the chaps, suspensions for the helmet, etc.).

Forrester has built a business 'copying' other stuff and making it cheaply in China. Does not mean that it is good. Does not mean that it is bad. Usually competes on low price. Up to you to decide if it is 'good enough' for you. Probably better than going without.

Basic chaps can be bought for $60 at Bailey's, Lowes, etc. Basic helmets for $40. Those safety glasses; $2 (!). Better quality stuff will cost you more. In this case, 'better' may mean: more protective, more comfortable, lasts longer, etc. Again, up to you. If this price means the difference between buying and not buying PPE, go for it, but understand the potential limitations.

Philbert

P.S.
"Ad says that 3M makes the stuff they use to stop the saw.. wondering if it's the same guts as the name brands?"

Different manufacturers use different types and layers of protective materials in chainsaw chaps. Some use Kevlar, some use polyester, some use other stuff or combinations of stuff. The testing requirements are based on performance, not content.
Well said...good post.

The certifications / classifications for each item (UL, ANSI, etc.) are minimum requirements. They do not mean that they are 'the same' as other items meeting these specifications. Organizations such as the Safety Equipment Institute (http://www.seinet.org/), Underwriters Laboratories (http://ul.com/), and others, are supposed to provide independent verification that items meet the applicable standards, for a fee. Some companies 'self test' to save money. A few might misrepresent their products. Compliance does not mean that they are good quality, will fit well, hold up to use, or that repair/replacement parts are available (buckles for the chaps, suspensions for the helmet, etc.).

Philbert

P.S.

Thanks Philbert.
The certifications / classifications / test requirements for each item (UL, ANSI, ASTM, etc.) are minimum requirements. They do not mean that they are 'the same' as other items meeting these specifications. Organizations such as the Safety Equipment Institute (http://www.seinet.org/), Underwriters Laboratories (http://ul.com/), and others, are supposed to provide independent verification that items meet the applicable standards, for a fee. Some companies 'self test' to save money. A few might misrepresent their products. Compliance does not mean that they are good quality, will fit well, hold up to use, or that repair/replacement parts are available (buckles for the chaps, suspensions for the helmet, etc.).

Philbert

P.S.

Thanks for all the information Philbert.

I went to the local Stihl dealer today, and they have a kit (like mentioned earlier) with chaps, helmet, and glasses for $130.

The chaps were "Woodcutter" made in USA.
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/wdcttrchaps/

They have 6 layers of whatever "Avertic™ Pro by Engtex®" is.

The "Pro Mark" chaps use the same material, but are 9 layers.

I put them on and they felt comfortable. I had my FIL look at the Canadian woodcutter kit, he said they felt cheap compared to his pants, but they were made in Sweden. No idea if the Canadian stuff is any different than the US kit.

I think I'm going to buy the kit tomorrow or Monday. Made in USA makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

They have 6 layers of whatever "Avertic™ Pro by Engtex®" is.
'Engtex' is a trademark for a proprietary fiber made by a Swedish company of the same name.

You might want to check out the Labonville chaps too; a sponsor for this site, that a lot of guys seem to like.
https://www.labonville.com/

Be a little careful about over-buying chaps: Thicker and more protective chaps are also hotter and heavier to wear. They don't provide any protection if you don't wear them.

I have a pair of 'full-wrap' chaps, as well as a lighter pair of front protection only 'apron-chaps', that I tend to wear on hotter days.

Buy something that you will wear. Suspenders help make them more comfortable to wear.

Philbert

Be a little careful about over-buying chaps: Thicker and more protective chaps are also hotter and heavier to wear. They don't provide any protection if you don't wear them.

I have a pair of 'full-wrap' chaps, as well as a lighter pair of front protection only 'apron-chaps', that I tend to wear on hotter days.

Buy something that you will wear. Suspenders help make them more comfortable to wear.

Philbert
that is so true

How good are those Woodcutter kits compared to the Promark Chaps and helmets? I'd hate to think they offer less protection? Kind of defeats the purpose.

How good are those Woodcutter kits compared to the Promark Chaps and helmets? I'd hate to think they offer less protection? Kind of defeats the purpose.

I think the Pro Mark is 9 layers of the material, and the Woodcutters are 6 layers. Not sure the difference in the helmet.

I think the Pro Mark is 9 layers of the material, and the Woodcutters are 6 layers.

The thicker chaps provide more protection, al things equal, for larger, more powerful saws. A few manufacturers rate their chaps, but I have not been able to find consistent criteria used to compare chaps from different manufacturers on this. Might be buried in the UL and ASTM standards, but these typically cost several hundred dollars to buy, and are often so technical as to be unreadable by mere mortals. I tried asking a UL rep once at a safety conference, but he never got back to me.

So I think that you can compare different models of chaps by the same manufacturer; and assume that the cheapest ones provide 'minimal' protection; but since different brands use different protective materials, you can't assume that '6 layers' of one brand is the same as '6 layers' of another.

I personally have a couple paor of Husqvarna branded chaps. But would also feel comfortable buying: Labonville, STIHL, ECHO. Jonsered. Elevex, or Oregon branded products, as I have confidence in these companies.

Philbert

The thicker chaps provide more protection, al things equal, for larger, more powerful saws. A few manufacturers rate their chaps, but I have not been able to find consistent criteria used to compare chaps from different manufacturers on this. Might be buried in the UL and ASTM standards, but these typically cost several hundred dollars to buy, and are often so technical as to be unreadable by mere mortals. I tried asking a UL rep once at a safety conference, but he never got back to me.

So I think that you can compare different models of chaps by the same manufacturer; and assume that the cheapest ones provide 'minimal' protection; but since different brands use different protective materials, you can't assume that '6 layers' of one brand is the same as '6 layers' of another.

I personally have a couple paor of Husqvarna branded chaps. But would also feel comfortable buying: Labonville, STIHL, ECHO. Jonsered. Elevex, or Oregon branded products, as I have confidence in these companies.

Philbert

"Pro Mark" is one of the Stihl chaps, unless I'm going crazy. It's the same material as the "Stihl Woodcutter." The woodcutter is 6 layers, and the pro mark is 9.

I agree that the '12 layers' on ebay is anything comparable to the Stihl stuff.

Back