Found Decent pruning blade for Invasive Honeysuckle (Sawzall 48-00-1303 )

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elric

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Folks, after dabbling with Zetsaws from Japan, Bosch, Milwaukee "AXE", and a few others that escape me, I came across the Sawzall 48-00-1303 5 TPI Pruning Blade, Swiss Made that is 0.062" thick. Zetsaws at best are 0.050, and tend to snap at the tang. Bosch bend like a banana if you hit a trunk beyond the one you are cutting. Carbide teeth may be useful for cutting in ground, but I don't do that much.

About $30 for a 5pk, but they last longer, haven't snapped one at the tang yet, are resistant to bending, but you can bend slight kinks back. For multi-trunked Honeysuckle, the 12" blade comes in handy. The link is to a retailer here in frigid Wisconsin, where you buy it is up to you.

WI DNR recommends cut and paint. I don't do foilar. %25 Glyphosate is what the doctor ordered and why the preacher danced. As long as you don't forget to paint the stumps, it doesn't come back.

Cut n paint even works if you have to cut a few feet up from the ground. Useful if you find a Kraken with multiple 5" trunks...

Attachments

• 20220907_Cut_Willow_Kraken.jpg
    20220907_Cut_Willow_Kraken.jpg
    613.4 KB · Views: 0
I assume they're discussing the non-native invasive bush honeysuckles - Amur, Tatarian and Morrow's. Trumpet honeysuckle is a native vining honeysuckle.

Folks, after dabbling with Zetsaws from Japan, Bosch, Milwaukee "AXE", and a few others that escape me, I came across the Sawzall 48-00-1303 5 TPI Pruning Blade, Swiss Made that is 0.062" thick.
Oops. The KERF is .062, the blade is .050 I was down in a marsh this February cutting on a dead multi-trunked BIG Common Buckthorn. BT wood is HEAVY and even when it's alive, harder to cut
.20240226_WB_Floor.jpg 20240207_Westbound_Slash.jpg

The slash pile is MUCH higher. The soil here is Palms muck, when the 5" branches came down, you can FEEL the thud...

Back