franklin 130 specs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea what a franklin weighs, But even if yer buddy is ok with pulling 14k is it legal? remember to add the weight of the trailer, and truck, with passengers, than check your local dot regs, here its 26k with legal axle weights, I'm thinking a 1 ton truck would be hard pressed to stay legal like that.

Granted my 132 is a forwarder, but it weighs 24k. A skidder is going to be less, but franklin didn't skimp on the iron on those things. Make some calls to find the weight to be sure. Unless the bog is froze up tight its going to be tough going. We push in with a dozer here when its going to be real cold to freeze down swamps. You want to stay on that trail tho.

I hauled my john deere 440a skidder with a one ton truck with a goose neck trailer it puller that thing like a dream. As far as chains go I don't run them. Around here the old school loggers never run chains they say it's to hard on the tires but most of the new younger loggers run them on the front. I guess I have never felt the need. Oh by the way when I hauled my 440a it was a 2 1/2 - 3 hr trip one way

I hauled my john deere 440a skidder with a one ton truck with a goose neck trailer it puller that thing like a dream. As far as chains go I don't run them. Around here the old school loggers never run chains they say it's to hard on the tires but most of the new younger loggers run them on the front. I guess I have never felt the need. Oh by the way when I hauled my 440a it was a 2 1/2 - 3 hr trip one way

On a light machine I would not want to run just tires. Even on flat ground, wait til you hook a limb locked drag or larger drag and watch your tires spin, or your machine get sucked backward by the winch.
You might be able to get it done if you pick your paths better or make more trips. But in my book that's a money waster.

I consider my machine pretty light duty for what I do. 9 tons. and with a light back end and just chains on the front, I was getting nowhere fast. I chained the rears and filled them and its a whole new world. I can go places I never dreamed of with it now. And I was having trouble before snow.
I bet I would have had to park it this winter if I didn't get her up to snuff.

On a light machine I would not want to run just tires. Even on flat ground, wait til you hook a limb locked drag or larger drag and watch your tires spin, or your machine get sucked backward by the winch.
You might be able to get it done if you pick your paths better or make more trips. But in my book that's a money waster.

I consider my machine pretty light duty for what I do. 9 tons. and with a light back end and just chains on the front, I was getting nowhere fast. I chained the rears and filled them and its a whole new world. I can go places I never dreamed of with it now. And I was having trouble before snow.
I bet I would have had to park it this winter if I didn't get her up to snuff.
Yep

The land we have I think front rings will do the trick. Still a little worried about a bumper pull trailer with a one ton as far as the total weight goes but my friend is a pretty precise guy I think he can do 14k and still be legal with his truck and trailer. Any recommendations on what to check out on the skidder

Any recommendations on what to check out on the skidder

Major expensive components. Get her up to temp and run it if you can. Articulate under load to check planetaries, drop dozer and lift front off ground, put it in gear and see if all 4 turn. shift all gears forward and reverse. check engine temps, and oil cold and hot. Fuel in oil? Oil in coolant? after up to temp that will tell you if pumps are weak, hyd/trans....
Little stuff is not such a big deal, ujoints drivelines that kind of stuff... If they let you work it, do it. And don't baby it, work it like you would on the job. They are built for that environment.

Check tires for major defects like major cracking / dry rot. Tires are expensive if you cant find used.

Winch or grapple? (sorry, don't remember if you said) make sure they will hold and release. Those are expensive too... well just about anything is, lol.

Check stress points for cracking, unless you know how to weld or want to learn, that could be a bit to hire out.

Of course you may never know until you hook 10k of wood and start up a hill. But you might catch something.

It is bound to have some problems, just realize that, just make sure you can get parts to fix it when they show up.

As far as I can tell it's a t 18 transmission and a np transfer. Same thing my old pick up runs not real sure on what to look fir on a 353 but I got a decent ear for sounds a little welding don't scare me I've got the welder and some experience

It's a detroit, so its made to scream. Don't know if you are familiar with them. Sounds like you will scatter them but its how they run. Governor should keep it in spec. my 4-53 shines at 2600-3000 all day long.

Like comparing a formula 1 with a muscle car. Keep her in the power band. Seems like everything is WOT. Ear plugs AND muffs help:D

Latest posts

Back