Fred look what you went and done now!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Neighbor stopped by with a chain for me to fix tonight...

Don't ask how he did it cause I dont know either.

Ummmm, it feels like the clutch is slipping! The engine revs, but when I try to cut something the chain quits spinning!

BTW, chainsaws work great for cutting PVC pipe! I was fixing my irrigation system and accidentally spilled PVC glue on my chain.

:Monkey:
(BTW, that's Stihl 3/8" RS chain, isn't it?)

Let's see. Sprocket was very worn and the chain stuck in the wood? That would have the sprocket slipping on the chain and generally grinding the hell out of it.

Or, he did what i did the other day, and kink his chain and just burned it back straight, it was brand knew, i didn't want to mess with it, but it got like the picture and would'nt stay on the bar.

Chain throw. I`ve seen similar drive tangs from a throw, that`s got to be the most extreme though. Russ

Chain throw from an open spur sprocket could mess up the drive links that badly, especially if the operator didn't back off the throttle as soon as the chain threw.

Typically, rim sprockets do less damage, as the chain flies out of them as soon as it derails.

Back