Free-hand milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been very busy with work and spring projects, siding the house, new deck and the beat goes on. I have been cutting on the load of logs and practicing my freehand milling. I have found that the easiest way to do it for me is to hold the saw as if it is riding in a mini-mill. I am loving it, the boards are getting straighter and more uniform every time (good thing I own a planer). Came across some nice sugar maple logs and red oak logs I have been working on today (got cut lose early from work today, not much going on). Sorry guys, still working on trying to post pictures.

jimdad: how did you come across a load of saw logs like that? i've tried looking into buying a load of raw logs like that and didn't have much luck.

on a personal note (since the man was brought up), mr proenecke is one of my heroes. if you haven't seen it, do check out his dvd, it's called "alone in the wilderness." i bet i've watched it 30 times. it's inspiring to watch a 50 year old dude rip boards from a spruce log like it's nothing. and quick too!
:greenchainsaw:

I live in an area where there is quite a bit of logging about twenty miles away. I called one of the loggers I know who sells firewood logs and asked if he could throw in some decent saw logs that weren't huge. He said no problem. So as I have been cutting my firewood, I have also been cutting a few boards here and there to get a stockpile going for my woodworking.
If you don't mind, could you let me know where you found the DVD.
Thanks, Jim

Good thread and lots of good info. Funnily enough a small bar on a 60cc saw cuts faster and straighter than a 85cc saw with a long bar. After cutter aloong the initial chalk lines, I place a string line along the cut and saw, blade and sand off the high spots. When cutting off a face of a log I find it best to seesaw the bar though the cut, as knots will tend to make the bar climb. Crank up the oiler too!
John

Last edited:
Good thread and lots of good info. Funnily enough a small bar on a 60cc saw cuts faster and straighter than a 85cc saw with a long bar. After cutter aloong the initial chalk lines, I place a string line along the cut and saw, blade and sand off the high spots. When cutting off a face of a log I find it best to seesaw the bar though the cut, as knots will tend to make the bar climb. Crank up the oiler too!
John

I agree with the smaller saw and the shorter bar. Makes for much better control. I have to say, though, that I am happy that I built the Alaskan and the mini-mill. Makes it a lot easier. At the time I posted the original post in the thread, I was going crazy waiting for a 28" bar for the Dolmar and just wanted to be cutting. It is still a good idea to know how to free hand, you never know when you will be in the woods cutting firewood and find a good log to turn into lumber.

Latest posts

Back