Free hearing protection -and- help me with my "new" 011

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never got anything, and I BUY at least $50 a year in hearing protection. People come out to shoot, I give em something to use. Buds come out to play with saws or help me with wood, they get something. Go dirtbiking and run into some guys without, I hand em a set. Mow the grass, wear em. See someone mowing theirs, give em. I have a econo-box of em in the back seat of the truck.

Why?

Between being dumb when I was younger and going without, and a corn-holio we-todd-did instructor who bounced a ground burst simulator off my head in a training exercise, I have very limited hearing now and never want anyone to lose theirs for the sake of a $0.32 set of ear plugs.

Hey they got some free advertising I guess, a lil good will sometimes goes a long way. Nobody lost anything I guess.

instructor who bounced a ground burst simulator off my head in a training exercise,

Ground burst simulator? :jawdrop:

"Ground burst", as in, NUKE.

Man, those are SERIOUS! I hope he lost some stripes over that! You're doing well to have any hearing left! :(

I'm guessing something similar to an arty or grenade simulator. Them things are loud. When we were low crawling past the pits on Nightmare Range at Ft. Jackson, SC you could feel the concussion from them when the DIs would set them off.

Ian

Yes, similar, but much bigger. If you've seen a grenade simulator, picture the same thing, only more like the size of a Thermos. They are not intended to be thrown, they are intended to simulate a nuclear ground burst, and throwing one AT someone should have resulted in some time in the stockade for the person who threw it, and probably a ruined career for the range safety officer.

I got to see ONE detonated. Fun stuff! :D

From a safe distance, of course.

The size of a THERMOS?!? Yikes! He's lucky he got away with just his hearing impaired.

It would seem to me that a nuke simulator would not have much value. If you are close enough to ground zero to see, hear, and feel a nuke go off, then recognizing it would just let you know a few seconds before you died that you were about to die.

Ian

Ha ha, no not a "nuke" simulator, Jeez I wouldnt have a head or body. The ones we used were about 3" round and 6" long. Supposed to be like a grenade or mortor going off. They whistle like hell and then "BaBOOOMM" . Get you used to gettin down and covered and being able to continue on with whatever it is your supposed to be doing, after one goes off. Just like a firecracke with a long fuse, if you hold it and throw it, theres not much warning once it lands.

I get $115 a month from the Veterans Dept now for the rest of my life. I'd trade it for another crack at the guy on the course that day. I suppose I'm not that bad off, just an anoyance a lot of the time. Turkey season starts next week, and I'll have a hard time hearing em coming in.

Oooohkay. Yeah, those are serious business, too. Glad you weren't hurt worse. We had a kid killed by a grenade simulator in Basic. The Drill tossed one in a crater just as a trainee jumped into it. Laid flat on it, caved in his chest. Freak accident, really, but showed what they can do.

Finally getting back to y'all....

I called the Howard-Leight girl back and spoke to her last week. It was kind of funny, as soon as I mentioned the word "chainsaw", we spent 10 minutes talking about chainsaws. She's looking for a new saw, her Husky died, what saws are better, blah blah blah...

Anyways, she says that they're having problems with their website and they want everyone who wants earwear to get their kit. She said to fill out another order online and/or call Bachou-Dalloz (parent, holding company) at 800-589-2716, hit 0 to get an operator and ask for assistance with the online hearing kit order not showing up.

If there's a single guy in NW PA looking for a really friendly girl who likes chainsaws, PM me and I'll give you her extension.... :love1:

I'll bet she's got a GREAT personality, and sues theaters for discrimination cause she can't fit in their provided seating.... I know, I know... I'm mean.

Ian

beelsr: Does that kit contain muffs?

what kind of muffs? ;)

Yes, it does. You get a boot-box sized orange and green box with one real set of ear muffs, a couple necklace band style plugs, and maybe 40 samples of probably every earplug style they offer: cheap-o foam, soft foam, soft plastic, cylindrical, cone shaped, bullet style, with cords, without cords, plastic cords, shoelace cords, ones with the cords already inserted, ones you insert the cords yourself if you want, ones in a little plastic baggie, ones in a plastic reusable case, ones in a plastic disposable case, etc....

Got a pic of the kit??

Just because you asked...

attachment.php

And yes, when it arrived, it was chock full o' nuts...

Sounds like an "arty" simulator if it was whistlin. Probably got quite the headache from it bouncin of your Kpot. Anyone ever played with Hoffman's? Did some stupid stuff firing hoffman's out of the grenade launchers from my M1 tank. LOL needless to say the groundpounders got a suprise when they were trying to infiltrate our AA.
Bees...thanks for the link I got my box of HP!

I ordered a set also... gave them all the requested information they wanted but have yet to received my kit. Should I re submit? I don't think so, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... then I'm the fool. Keep your stinking hearing protection! I'm already deaf in one ear anyway. and can't see out of the other!

Latest posts

Back