Frigid Temps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
10 below zero this morning. Brrrrrrrrrrr.......

Window insulation and the fire roaring for 2+ days steadily, it is mostly comfortable inside. As expected water lines are frozen. Damn!!! If it doesn't correct itself by tomorrow morning, I get to crawl under the cabin with the propane Mr. Heater. In the past only 5 or so minutes is enough to heat the crawl space and loosen up the iced lines.

I can't imagine how you folks in N. Dakota, Minnesota, etc. do this on a regular basis.

If I had Federal Warrants for my immediate arrest, I wouldn't even visit that place.

Now these people are both tough and crazy. -71°C (-96°F) World's Coldest Inhabited Place: Oymyakon, Siberia. -->

Yeah they must have it rough there.
I don't have a Christmas picture but here is my place on July 04th.
View attachment 620690

It is only -18 C here. We have had a warm December so far. It is expected to change though for the rest of winter.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Best advise i can give you on the water lines is to move them inside the house. I did mine after the first year of heating with wood. i live in an older trailer house and keeping the under side warm is imposible with wood heat but without wood heat the fuel oil bill is killer. I would use pex if doing it again but the CPVC I used works fine and is rated for drinking water. Was always going to build a box around them like many cabins I helped remodel but with just me, I could care less. Now its just the well line from the ground up into the house and that is triple heat taped and insulated

If I had Federal Warrants for my immediate arrest, I wouldn't even visit that place.

Now these people are both tough and crazy. -71°C (-96°F) World's Coldest Inhabited Place: Oymyakon, Siberia.

Not as bad as the South Pole in the winter, but I wouldn't live in either place!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Yeah they must have it rough there.
I don't have a Christmas picture but here is my place on July 04th.
View attachment 620690

Yooper's home is a bit nicer.
Blue2-91-X2.jpg

We have 20F here. Not cold, but supposed to get near zero this week. That's more like it!

Them Muricans always showing us up. Then again he does live farther north than me, I live about in line with the tip of the thumb.
-5 C (23F)outside and 21 C (70F) inside but just turned up the furnace (owb) . It's trying to get nasty out, snow squall warnings. Going to be -13C (8F) tonight. Going to do the Christmas thing with the grandkids then head to the bush. It'll be nice in the bush now that it's freezing up a bit more.
View out the front window. IMG_20171225_091556.jpg

I've been meaning to address this issue for a good while. An inexpensive electric oil radiator will be put in place next spring. A single location should take care of it, and maybe some extra insulation. Usually I am good until the temp goes to sub zero, which doesn't happen often. Years ago I had to bucket water from the creek to flush the toilet, but that was 30 below which very rarely happens (once in the last 5 years).

Best advise i can give you on the water lines is to move them inside the house. I did mine after the first year of heating with wood. i live in an older trailer house and keeping the under side warm is imposible with wood heat but without wood heat the fuel oil bill is killer. I would use pex if doing it again but the CPVC I used works fine and is rated for drinking water. Was always going to build a box around them like many cabins I helped remodel but with just me, I could care less. Now its just the well line from the ground up into the house and that is triple heat taped and insulated

The bush is behind the barn. OWB is 12' outside the garage door but I still made my wife go out and put wood in this morning. I forgot to do it last night.

A neighbor had one installed a few years ago. Lots and lots of very hot water he and his wife love, BUT he goes thru >13 cords of wood. I help him as he is 70+, but damn that is a lot of work.

I've been meaning to address this issue for a good while. An inexpensive electric oil radiator will be put in place next spring. A single location should take care of it, and maybe some extra insulation. Usually I am good until the temp goes to sub zero, which doesn't happen often. Years ago I had to bucket water from the creek to flush the toilet, but that was 30 below which very rarely happens (once in the last 5 years).
we hit -30 every winter at least once. I dont mind the cold so much. its usually fairly calm out when its that cold so its not bad

Montana, it's best not to keep track of how much wood I use. I heat 2 houses, 2 domestic hot water and some for the 24x56 shop. Have always planned to keep track but I burn so much junk that it's difficult to keep track. I burn construction cut offs from work, wood bunks, cribbing, tree trimmings, cardboard, newspaper, sawdust and tons of other burnables. Considering what I heat I think it's good.

do you feed all that heating demand from one OWB or two? i know youve mentioned it many times but i guess i cant remember. whats the water capacity?

Back