From scratch and shoestring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremetrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
MB was talking about doing his own thing and no longer contract climbing so I thought I'd start this thread.
Im returning to the world in a few days and will be starting my own business back up as well. So I guess its for me to.

I've learned a few things in the last 6 years being a owner/operator.

1.) You must get your name out there. Folks wont call if they dont know who to call. When they do call you gotta answer the phone.

I guess thats it pretty simple huh you just gotta get your name out there. Be it yellow pages, ads in the back of the paper, flyers hung on mail boxes ,knocking on doors, business cards at the laundry, going to church in your business suit j/k, whatever it takes.

I've gone into some neighborhoods on one call and done 7 jobs before I could leave. That's nice. I've gone on 7 calls and gotten one. That sucks.

So I'll start again. National Guard anymore gets deployed alot I gotta get used to this start/stop thinggy.I think living in one town for over a 2 year stretch helps alot. But its not necessary.

Any suggestions just starting out again? It will probably be 6 months before I hit the yellow pages so most of my calls will be from hanging flyers on mail boxes and going door to door. Get ready for pics brothers. Treemans almost in the world. Today is my last day on point. I hope the terrorist dont come today it would really piss me off:angry:

Try canvasing church and comunity groups. One good job will generaly be followed by 20+ of there friends jobs. Dont make the mistake of using a lower than normal price to get your foot in the dooras they will all expect the same rate and it will end up hurting. Trailer parks are always in need of tree work but again they normaly want a very good price. You could also see if the local councils around your area have a prefered contractor list if they do you need to be on them as they are free advertising in bulk!! (Just be careful to keep your quality up as one overly pissed customer or a couple of bad reports will kill all referals.);)

Back