Frost Damage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Our established Black Walnuts and and Burr Oaks were budding as they should in late April. At the beginning of May there were two mornings where the temperature dropped into the low 20's. A few days ago I noticed that probably 80-90% of the buds that were in the process of leafing out on the black walnut and just about every bud on the lower quarter of the canopy of the burr oaks shrivelled up and died. A few ashes also have similar problems. Is the frost the cause or might something else be going on? I'll post pictures if needed.

Sounds like a good candidate for frost damage to me, but check to see if there is still green under the twig bark by scratching a small area with your fingernail. The auxillary buds should take over and start popping open in a few days.

Thank you for the replies. The trees in question have put out a brand new flush of leaves, and they seem no worse for wear. If anything, there will be fewer acorns and nuts this year since the immature flowers froze off too, but that's certainly nothing to complain about.

Back