Fruitless mulberry problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shannon_v

Reaction score
I've got two fruitless mulberry trees in my backyard that I planted about six months ago. One of the trees is doing beautifully; the other one has started (in the last couple of months) getting light yellow edges around its leaves. This week, the edges have been turning brown (so that the middle of the leaf is green, surrounded by light yellow, then brown.
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Thank you in advance for any suggestions! :D

Thanks for the reply, Guy.
I checked the site that you recommended, and we planted the trees precisely as the site said to. As I said in my earlier post, one of the trees is growing beautifully w/nice, big green leaves. Just one of them has the green surrounded by light yellow, then brown leaves. We planted both of them exactly the same way.
Any possible ideas?
Thanks so much--
Shannon :D

How far apart are they? Are they both exposed to the saim watering/moisture/sunlight conditions, etc..?

A picture would be a great help.

Still suspect the problem is underground (as most are). When the plants left the container were the roots pulled straight or was the rootball just plunked in?

Still suspect the problem is underground (as most are). When the plants left the container were the roots pulled straight or was the rootball just plunked in?
We pulled the roots that were at the bottom portion of the rootball straight, but we didn't disrupt the top half of them. Should we have? :confused:

Is the problem throughout the tree evenly? Are some limbs dying off?

The discoloration started with the bottom branch, and is now spreading to the others. Also, it starts at the part of the branch that is closest to the trunk. None of the limbs are dying (yet). We do live in Southern California (which is basically the desert) and it has been hot (and windy). Would more water be a good place to start? I wish I could post a photo, but I don't have a digital camera.

I truly appreciate everyone's help! :D

Back