FS Black Walnut log - Allentown, PA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdf4240

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Sorry to the AS moderators but I couldn't find the appropriate place in the Classifieds for this posting.

I'm listing this for someone else, so here goes. A black walnut tree was up rooted in a storm late last year (I think Hurricane Irene). Because of this only a few feet of the top of the log is touching the ground. The log is about 35 feet long and fairly straight with only one slight bend and almost no branches. From the top the diameter is about is about 18", then straight for about 8'. At this point there is a very large burl. I would guess the burl is about a 1-2' wide and half the diameter of the tree at that point. Then it pretty straight for another 10-12'. Here is a slight bend. At this point I'm guessing the diameter is 22-24". After the bend and to the root is the best part. I would guess this is about an 8-10' section with no branches. The diameter at the base is probably +30". Access to the log is a little difficult. I have taking some of the top branches for firewood and the sap wood is about 2" thick and the gain is beautiful. Nice brown in color and tight grain. I don't know how much he wants but I'm sure he will be very reasonable. The burl alone is worth at least $50. I would just hate to see this log used for firewood. PM only if you are truely serious about milling this log. If you are really serious I will go and take pictures of it and I could also take some pictures of the gain.

I was thinking about milling it myself but I've never milled and I'm not sure what I would do with the wood.

i take it ,it hasnt been touched since it fell over. in that case its tree removal . then mill what looks good. i cant see were he can charge anything.

Latest posts

Back