Fuel Filter are they all the same ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glock37

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok heres a Question on fuel filters is there a different in fuel filters

Brand name or am ones or OEM

which one filters better, flows more, or holds up longer in fuel ?

My saw mechanic says to use the felt Walbro filters. He feels the Stihl filters are more of a screen. I have used many different types and have not seen a difference. I change filters and flush the oil tank each spring. Like maybe tomorrow.

When it comes to my OPE, I only buy OEM air / fuel filters.

I've found that after-market filters aren't that much cheaper......if any at all.
Same here. Cheap enough to go with OEM.

I didn't even realize you were the OP, Mike! What's goin on man?

I never change fuel filters on saws unless they're defective (fell apart, etc)
As far as the principal of them, they're all the same which means they prevent junk from getting pulled into the carburetor. They are weighted to keep them in the fuel when the angle of the saw changes. They are not all the same though as regard to fit. Different saws have different size lines, etc.

A Stihl OEM filter, large sized for the bigger saws, can flow a 1/2 gallon per minute. I used one to filter fuel going into a small fuel pump to transfer fuel for my snowmobiles. That's way more than anyone would ever need on a saw.

GTG on the 3rd of may in Marysville

got a 026 flippy done its at randys now its a complete rebuild with a oem top and piston

all powdered up
You got all the fun stuff. Awesome. Can't wait to see it. Hopefully I get out there in May.

2 dogs in post #3 hit the nail on the head. The OPE that are not perhaps the most popular ie solo/dolmar use walbo felt ones. Cost a bit more but put one in your hand next to a say a stihl and you will notice whats 'cheap' & what is quality. lt frustrates me that stihl which l do like and have many saws from have been slowly putting cheap Chinese parts in there highly expensive pro equiptment. lts not just the fuel filters either, on the 'made in Germany' saws you will find 'made in China' parts like their zamma carbs for example. The equiptment IS reliable and of merchantable quality but they are trying to get away with more and more of this. Kinda sad really....lt seems the greater a companys market share, the greater small savings are worth to them. They once built their name by selling top quality gear made from higher grade material, now they use their reputation and brand name to increase profit at the customers expense. lmagine if half the advertising budget went into R&D, the saws we so much love would be so much better.

Yes, BIG! is good. The more surface area the better. I prefer the big die cast slug with the felt sleeve. Walbro, I think.

I'll take all you care to send me.
I agree ,I bought a roll of fine felt from the hardware and made some Donut Cutters using old 1/4 drive sockets,play around with your method of cutting ,I tried allsorts including placing a piece of felt in a tray ,filling it up wit water,freezing etc ,much easier making a may I say wad punch/cutter,anyway I agree I will take as many old ones and rebuild them, maybe even better than some

Back