Full Chisel Chain.... what exactly are dirty conditions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, like I said earlier, semi chisel has it's place. Everyone has to decide if the slower cutting speed outweighs the sharpening time of chisel for themselves.
Just don't be lulled into thinking that semi chisel is the end all, cure all for having to sharpen a dull chain. A dull chain has to be sharpened regardless of whether it's square chisel, round chisel, semi chisel, chipper, or carbide. It dosen't matter if it's full comp., full skip, or semi skip. If you hit a rock with any of the above it will have to be sharpened, if you cut a lot of dirt with any of the above, it will have to be sharpened. Some people will use the dogs on their saw to compensate for a dull chain. There is no substitute for a sharp chain. A dull chain of any configuration is not only non productive, but dangerous. Don't look for that magic bullet that lets you quit worrying about hitting the dirt, and rocks............It dosen't exist. Just learn to avoid hitting the ground, touch up when needed, and file/grind the hell out of them when neccessary. Andy

There ya go, now make up your mind and go cut some wood

I'd love to find the type of trees to fell where full chisel holds up all day. I suppose all the trees I've felled have had some dust in the bark etc but I've never found full chisel to out produce semi over a day's work, as Slamm has mentioned. Full chisel is great fun for limbing etc where everything is clean and green but for me that's about it. Some of our hardwoods will mess up a full chisel chain's cutting point even when they're clean.
I get pretty envious of seeing some of your guy's tree felling vids/pictures where there is moss on the ground and not a rock, hard lump of wood, or grain of sand in sight :)
It also pays for some guy's to remember that on the right saw a well setup semi chisel chain will far outcut out of the box full chisel. The semi chisel chains I run on my modded saws will give out of the box RSC/LGX an absolute hiding but the role is reversed if you tweak RSC/LGX ;)

This has been a really great thread so far. I've enjoyed the read. I've never found myself in much debate in life, as I try to always keep a very open mind and consider all options, angles and view points, as I'm well aware that my views & opinions could be as rare as my finger prints. You've all made some very valid points, for sure. "You use What you use, because it Works for You." Definitely no argument on that fact. But, it doesn't mean that someone who uses a different setup is wrong, or wasting time & money, per-say. All we can expect from anyone's testimony on here is an Honest Review of their experiences with the hardware they used. No more, no less. I thoroughly enjoy reading about the differences in hardware, equipment & applications from all around the World on here!!! Gives me perspective, and sometimes it makes me a bit envious of folks who claim to get several chords of firewood on a single sharpening, or who don't have to wrestle with a ShagBark Hickory or the wonderful aroma of a nice wet Red Oak that has that touch of soft gooey tar on the inside, or a mess of good ole mosquitoes, gnats, ticks & yellow jackets while sweating it out in 90-100 degree temps and 100% humidity during the Summer months in the SE. But I don't dwell on those things because most of those people have their own issues to deal with that I don't. I currently don't cut 10-15 chord of softwood for heat, or use fuel oil, don't have a need to. I don't have to plow my driveway off, just so I can go to work or to the woods. And I'm Thankful. Living in NWGA, we have an Abundance of long burning, mega btu producing, heavy hardwood. And it's great for smoking meats as well!!!! But I'd bet you a dollar to a doughnut that they would love to have the hardwoods like I have around here. Way more BTU's per chord And it only takes around 1-1/2 to 3 chord to keep my family warm all year. We all have nice things and not so nice things in our lives and the way we do things may differ greatly, but that's part of what makes us unique from others and many times, give us a cause for interaction and conversation with one another. But it doesn't make us wrong. And thats how we are given the opportunities to better understand why our lives are the way they are, and realize that we all have good days and bad days alike, just with different circumstances based on our geographic location. It also provides us with a Wealth of Knowledge that's been hand pick and experienced by great people who are willing to take time from their lives to sit and share it with us on here. And many many times it has come through Greatly for Me!!!! So to those, I say Thank You!!!!! From my warm and cozy little family, to you and yours!!!
I've been identifying, marking, felling, limbing, bucking, splitting, loading, hauling, sorting, stacking, drying, & burning firewood for over 30 years here in NWGA. From a crosscut saw (for the experience) to chopping down a Cherry Tree like our First President with a razor sharp two bit axe. From splitting with a small single bit axe, to wedges and a sledge to a 35 Ton hydraulic splitter. It's not what I do For A Living, but rather it's what I do To Live The Way I Want To Live. Its very much woven into the fabric of my life and has played a big role in molding me into the man I am today. I spend as many hours with my firewood & the equipment it requires, as I do with the yard work and even my kids sports! I do. I do it for many reasons: peace of mind! Nothing like the silence of being alone inside your head even while that saw is cranking out 12k, 13.5k, 15k RPMs....It doesn't matter. My head is so clean and cleared out when I'm in "My Element" working up firewood. I do it for the exercise and fresh air. I do it because even while admiring God Amazing Creations and Blessings, I can still be productive for my family needs. It's always been a Great Source of Soul Searching and Reflecting for me since I can remember. So folks like Yoga or Pilates. Or maybe even just fishing or sitting in a deer stand or a duck blind. But for me, its always been firewood work, running equipment from a weedeater all the way up to an Excavator or a Dozer, and even driving a Semi or a Tandem.
And any one who is gonna put a sharp edged tool into something abrasive, should either learn to hand sharpen well. (Which I Highly Recommend). Buy a quality saw chain grinder and learn to use it and use it well, because for every fella like you, there will be 10's, 100's, maybe 1,000's in your area who are potential paying customers who can quickly help a good sharpener out. Some chains will truly need to be ground first, before hand filing will be a viable option to use. But hand filing done right, will put a grinders work, to shame!
I kinda took the long road around instead of cutting through the middle like the Duke Boys. But my point is this: Be who You are, but don't be closed minded. It severely limits your potential of possibilities in this Life! And we only get one ticket around on this Roller Coaster so make the Most of it by Positively Impacting as many lives as you can! Be kind enough, to share your experiences with us on Arborist Site as well as other sites that cater to your forte. The number of people you could help out with your experiences and product reviews, and the number of lives you could possibly help save from injury, death or equipment failures could be exponential. Even though I don't know a single one of the members on here personally, that I know of, I have no doubt that many of you are True Professional's at what you do every day with your equipment, and that gives you an opportunity to educate others with real world experiences on issues like: Safety, proper work wear and PPE around these tools, on the Pro Level and the Firewood Cutters Level, and. Even the Homeowner Level, which is probably where more chainsaw related accidents occur every year due to inexperience in understanding felling a tree, maintaining a chainsaw properly, ignorance of how dangerous it can be and how quickly a situation can turn into a nightmare for many. The simple physics involved in bucking and limbing a felled tree.
We don't all have to be Professionals at Operating Chainsaws for a succesfull business or be a Certfied Expert Mechanic or Logger to contribute words of wisdom and insight into a worthy thread. Just share what you Do know in hopes that it'll help someone else who's searching for that answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been a really great thread so far. I've enjoyed the read. I've never found myself in much debate in life...
...Just share what you Do know in hopes that it'll help someone else who's searching for that answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm legitimately not sure which I find more impressive: that you responded with this awesome rant to a three year old thread, or that you typed that whole thing up on an iPhone! o_O:laugh::laugh:

:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back