full skip vs. frozen wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well put Russ,

Art is one who spent many hours with me explaining, teaching and answering a few of my off the wall questions concerning race chain and I find looking back, I knew little to nothing about.

I am still learning from Art and hope to continue for many more years. Nothing feels as good as stepping up to a log knowing that there aint a guy out there with a better chain than you.

Thanks Art

Video

Crofter, I have the video you are looking for! It was made by Stihl back in the mid 80's and it shows a saw chain in profile doing its job. The chain does exactly as Art Martin states, taking bites. The video also shows combustion through a cylinder head with a window, in super slow-mo, and kickback in slow-mo!. Sorry glens but you are not in a position to determine who has "authoritative clarity" and who doesn't. Art please keep teaching. I was hanging on your every word. Thank you for what you have given us.:)

There is a lot of armchair theory being thrown around here.

Actual experience of trying skip tooth vs regular chain counts for more.

Here in hardwood country in East central Illinois skip tooth users are very rare. skip tooth increases cutting vibration and offers no advantage. That might change with very long bars, but but there in no timber that big left around here.

In frozen wood, a hard tooth chain like Carlton in semi chisel works well.

Not to nit pick Tony but I find that carlton does not stay sharp as long as oregon or stihl chain.

Hmmm, I also find Stihl chain a bit harder but have noted no real diff between Oregon and Carlton-I always felt like the Carlton had a very slight edge.

After alot of encouragement to retry Stihl chain I have found that it does keep it`s edge somewhat longer than Oregon or Sabre chain but not enough to justify the expense unless you can buy it WAYYYYYYYY below retail.

Russ

Back