furnance not heating up,I think

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allagashwoods

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I just started a new forced hot air wood furnance today and have a question. The temp. on the stove pipe will not go over 250 degrees unless the feed door is open.The forced air blower has a 3 inch disc that when opened all the way should make the temp. reach 800 degrees but it doesn't The electrical is hooked up correctly and everything seems to be working the way it's supposed to. The wood is dry ash. Any help would be great.
Thanks,Len

I'm sure you know that we all want pictures :laugh:
What kind of draft do you have?(is the chimney drawing)?
Do you have the proper size pipe and flue?
I'm not a fan of forced drafts but I would think that it would make the fire roar unless your wood is too big, too wet or too much of it.
Another thing that just came to mind is the pipe that goes into the thimble isn't too far into the flue is it?
Just throwing things out that come to mind.
dave

More power!

Try to load the furnace a little harder AKA more wood. Maybe you just have a very efficient furnace which actually extracts more of the heat instead of wasting it out thru the chimney. If you have a nice fire going (no hissing or smoldering) and the flue temp. is low means that the furnace is efficient. That's not a bad sign. The evolution of new appliances is forced into higher efficiency and cleaner burning. Which in my small world is actually not a bad thing. But more info and maybe pics would help diagnostics.

Motorsen

I just installed (this Fall) a BioMass 40 wood boiler. I had stack temperature concerns as well. It is reported that the secondary burn chamber hits 2000 degrees, which I cannot verify. I can see that gasification reburn is occurring, and it sure looks hot! My stack temperature runs at 200 degrees, which I though was concerning. When I pulled the stove pipe, there was a fine layer of flyash looking stuff in the pipe and a little bit in the horizontal run of chimney. There was no creosote. I will say I can't get gasification reburn unless my wood is very dry, like several days inside.

Maybe the efficiency is just very good and your stove is extracting that much heat from the fire before sending it up the pipe?

Good luck,

Bill

furnance

Thanks guys, you might be right. The furnance smokes very little when running,and it eats alot of wood. I have it set up in a firewood kiln and set the temp. for two hundred degrees.I will put a temp probe in tomorrow with an outside display and as long as I get the temp's I need to dry the wood I won't worry about it.I have working on this kiln for as long as Scott has had his and it's taken forever to finish. Maiden voyage was today.
Len

Latest posts

Back