G.r.c.s.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum783

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a favor to ask of anyone in Eastern NC I am looking to borrow someone's GCRS. I know before anyone says it I don't loan out tools. That is fine, I don't blame you . I would gladly purchase one as I have seen the light and could really use one but I am only going to be in NC for another month as the Air Force has decided to move me. I would be more than willing to pay a price as well as a deposit to borrow this tool. If no one is willing that is fine too. Also another idea if you would like to accompany your tool that would be fine too, I would be more than willing to pay your for the couple of hours I need it for.
Jared

No worries if no one is willing I am not offended just wanted to try one before I bought one also could really use one on this job.
Jared

I don't have one so I can't help with the project, but anyone else think it might be an idea for the sherrill/vermeer alliance to start renting these things? Sure it looks like a great tool and from those that have used it it sounds like a life saver, but at almost 3k it is a lot of $$$ for a part time piece of equipment. For those that maybe need the tool a few times a year, renting sure does sound like a nice option. What do you think Sherrills?

I don't have one so I can't help with the project, but anyone else think it might be an idea for the sherrill/vermeer alliance to start renting these things? Sure it looks like a great tool and from those that have used it it sounds like a life saver, but at almost 3k it is a lot of $$$ for a part time piece of equipment. For those that maybe need the tool a few times a year, renting sure does sound like a nice option. What do you think Sherrills?

Way good idea sure wish I worked for Sherrill to suggest that to them
Jared

The Good Rigging Control System is a yachting winch Greg good adapted for tree work.

You can use it as a ratcheting bollard or a winch to draw limbs up into the tree, or preload the rigging line.

I have one and use at least a couple times a week.

grcs_01_500.gif

This is out of the Wespur catalog

The next one is from Sherrills
28580D.JPG

Last edited:
The Good Rigging Control System is a yachting winch Greg good adapted for tree work.

You can use it as a ratcheting bollard or a winch to draw limbs up into the tree, or preload the rigging line.

I have one and use at least a couple times a week.

grcs_01_500.gif

This is out of the Wespur catalog

The next one is from Sherrills
28580D.JPG

Thanks for the info I have never heard of a grcs before :cheers:

Look at the top of those two pictures. Since it is a ratcheting capstan the ropeman can pull on the line (if there is a block up top) and influence the movement of the load.

Say it is a moderately heavy piece with a tip tie; the climber does a side notch, and it is an easy swing with the rope pulled in as it comes off. No need for 2-3 guys to reef on it hoping it is not too heavy for the applied friction in the tree.

2 wraps on 1/2 inch line will hold a lot of weight.

My home made GRCS with a 43 arco capstan takes 8.5 turns to do the full rotation, yet only lifts just over 100 kgs. Man I cant work it out. Perhaps me and my groundman are weak, or the drums bigger (making the gearing effectively higher) or the handle needs to be longer....

My home made GRCS with a 43 arco capstan takes 8.5 turns to do the full rotation, yet only lifts just over 100 kgs. Man I cant work it out. Perhaps me and my groundman are weak, or the drums bigger (making the gearing effectively higher) or the handle needs to be longer....

The ratio involves the drum size and handle length along with the gear ratio.

Quick question, I am relatively new to the GRCS. Can the groundie be at any side to the GRCS, or does the rope have to go through the pig tail things on that end... (or can it be reversed and used from the other side, to keep the groundie from being under the load)?? Hope that is clear...

jp:D

Quick question, I am relatively new to the GRCS. Can the groundie be at any side to the GRCS, or does the rope have to go through the pig tail things on that end... (or can it be reversed and used from the other side, to keep the groundie from being under the load)?? Hope that is clear...

jp:D

Hey JP,

You really need to use the pigtail to keep the rope coiled on the winch.

You do not have to stand in line with it to keep it leading fair, you can use the pigtail as a redirect and stand almost anywhere.

There are some side loops welded on the bracket, but I do not like the rope on rope wear you get from them.

Back