Gaining Access to valuable 38" black walnut tree not in my yard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anachro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
While visiting a friend recently, I noticed that in the back of her neighbor's property stands a large and already dead black walnut. It would be fantastic to be able to take this down and get some lumber and bowl blanks from it, but it is massive at 38", and I have no ability to manage it. To complicate matters, her neighbor recently died and the property may be in probate (or something- i didn't get the full legal story). The tree already has some insect holes in it, and may have been standing dead for some time- I have no idea what it might look like inside. I can only say that the upper branches don't appear to be debarked and rotting.

What is the best way to approach this? I'm not sure who to call who would be interested in assisting me, because even though it is desireable to me, it isnt necessarily valuable enough to get professionals interested. And that's assuming I can even gain access. I have no idea what it's worth, and can't promise the owners anything that will tempt them to my side.

Well to be blunt there is no way to approach it. You said you do not have the ability to take it down yourself and I assume you are not willing to pay a tree service to do it. You said you believe the property is in probate so there is at least a waiting period for that. The best thing is to find out who the executor of the estate is. Then contact them and let them know you are interested but once again you say you lack the ability to do it yourself so I am not sure what more you can do. If you feel there is value in the tree you could offer to pay for a tree service to just drop it and you take care of all cleanup. In my area that would be about _$500 but others are different

Well to be blunt there is no way to approach it. You said you do not have the ability to take it down yourself and I assume you are not willing to pay a tree service to do it. You said you believe the property is in probate so there is at least a waiting period for that. The best thing is to find out who the executor of the estate is. Then contact them and let them know you are interested but once again you say you lack the ability to do it yourself so I am not sure what more you can do. If you feel there is value in the tree you could offer to pay for a tree service to just drop it and you take care of all cleanup. In my area that would be about _$500 but others are different
Thank you. That sounds like a good idea. In fact, I may be able to dig up a contact from my local woodturner's association, of which I used to be a member. We would often get together to cut up big trees for bowl blanks. In this case, I'm less interested in sharing it with the entire group, but they could definitely make it disappear quickly. I didn't witness the felling personally, but I know they've taken down bigger trees than this (a 300+ year old ambrosia maple). It's possible that I could interest one or two members with big saws who might be able to take it down, who would take wood as payment.

If you are able to get permission to take it down I would seriously look into getting a couple quotes from tree companies that are bonded and insured. Even with permission from the owner you organizing a group of people to take it down is a huge legal liability issue if something should happen.

If you are able to get permission to take it down I would seriously look into getting a couple quotes from tree companies that are bonded and insured. Even with permission from the owner you organizing a group of people to take it down is a huge legal liability issue if something should happen.
Point well taken. That is a downside to diy.

It seems far enough away from the house to accomodate it's height, but the limbs are likely an issue. Not sure how they handled that on the tree I referred to in my original post.

if you have to pay someone to take it down, it will be expensive, especially if its anywhere near buildings.
Probably more expensive then the wood is worth.
That could be true but there are WAY too many variables for ANY of us to decide. Lets break it down from the armchair internet aspect. I will make some assumptions that are truly only wild arse guesses as NONE of us know the details except the OP.

First you say ,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you have to pay someone to take it down, it will be expensive, especially if its anywhere near buildings.............

Yes true but he said in post #5
Point well taken. That is a downside to diy.

It seems far enough away from the house to accomodate it's height, but the limbs are likely an issue. Not sure how they handled that on the tree I referred to in my original post.
So we must assume he meant the height would allow it to clear all nearby buildings. Now that is only an assumption based on what the OP said.

Next the OP said it was 38''. I assume he meant 38" DBH which in the world of Walnut is good. The value of Walnut is such that some folks will wrongly cut what some call "pecker poles"

I must ask northmanlogging what is the stump price on Walnut in your area. Of course no logger worth his or her salt will ever cut a yard tree but in the woods what is your stump price?

I said earlier that in my area it would be about $500 to simply put one on the ground. I guess I left out that does not mean just drop it. The $500 includes a straight down drop out of the bucket truck with no in tree climbing. All debries remain under the canopy The distance to a building is irrelevant as long as the bucket can reach it. These are real figues for this area and the OP is in Massachuttes which I know will be different. Might be $1500 there but no way to know whithout a few qoutes.

Surprised it took 11 replies for this classic to appear but so very on-topic. This scenario plays out regularly on sites like Nextdoor.
I was biting my tongue as it were... hoping someone else would do it...
I tried the "nextdoor" and "angies lisp" both couldn't seem to figure out that I wasn't interested in mowing lawns and trimming decorative maples... pretty damned frustrating lol.

The video is funny but does not apply. The poster wants the tree (for free I assume). No one has been asked to pay for it. I suggested he PAY a tree company to take it down if he feels there is enough value in it. That is the reverse of your cartoon.

Can you post a picture of the tree? If it's been dead standing for a long time and there are any openings in the top that would allow water to enter, it could already be rotted on the inside.
You make a valid point. There is no way to know why it died and it may be of little use. I have seem some really good outward looking trees be poo inside and vice-versa.

One of the funniest things was about 2008 when Walnut was climbing we had a good amount of logs harvested. The veneer buyer was here buying logs and bought one that we pulled out of a ravine that was dead on the ground. I was standing right there when he tagged and tallied it

This stuff in worth money? It’s not around my parts stuff grows everywhere and is mostly harvested for firewood.

And why do people keep talking about ambrosia maple like it is a species of maple when it’s just big eaten.

This stuff in worth money? It’s not around my parts stuff grows everywhere and is mostly harvested for firewood.

And why do people keep talking about ambrosia maple like it is a species of maple when it’s just big eaten.
Sir,
Are you saying Walnut is of low value in Ontario? I believe you as you are there but it seems odd.

Latest posts

Back