General Milling Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typhoon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, here is a practical question.. We havent got our Norwood Lumbermate mill yet, but we will have it in a couple weeks. I have 40 acres of woods, and I have many trees down from the ice storm we recently had. Alot of the trees are millable. Most are straight, and many are 15-20" in diameter. The question I have is about species. Can I mill any species? Do all species of trees make good lumber? For example... Black Gum, Hackberry, Elm, Sycamore, etc. I know that oak, maple, cherry, walnut, cedar, etc. are in demand around here. But what about the "other" stuff like I mentioned above? I guess a good way to ask the question would be: what species of tree (if any) would you just leave lay, as opposed to dragging out of the woods and milling?? Thanks~!

Typhoon,
Each tree species has some particular advantages and disadvantages, using that particular species depends mostly on it's intended use.
Almost any species works for wood turning and furniture, and the more unusualy often the better. That sycamore can be absolutely stunning. Popular and hickory also can be worked inot impressive objects.
If you are framing a house or barn, I would stay with whatever works in that area of the country.
For just a shed or shop, seems anything reasonable will work.
If you are trying to get aprofit out of this, then you might stay with whatever tree species is in demand.
Rich S.

Ok, here is a practical question.. We havent got our Norwood Lumbermate mill yet, but we will have it in a couple weeks. I have 40 acres of woods, and I have many trees down from the ice storm we recently had. Alot of the trees are millable. Most are straight, and many are 15-20" in diameter. The question I have is about species. Can I mill any species? Do all species of trees make good lumber? For example... Black Gum, Hackberry, Elm, Sycamore, etc. I know that oak, maple, cherry, walnut, cedar, etc. are in demand around here. But what about the "other" stuff like I mentioned above? I guess a good way to ask the question would be: what species of tree (if any) would you just leave lay, as opposed to dragging out of the woods and milling?? Thanks~!

Here's a sample of what you can build out of elm-Wych elm is the only native elm in ireland and likely what this is. I took this pic at a hostel in Ireland in 2005 with permission. Lady said her son built it of "ellum"I wish I could take credit as it is a beautiful piece.

Last edited:
Here's a sample of what you can build out of elm-Wych elm is the only native elm in ireland and likely what this is. I took this pic at a hostel in Ireland in 2005 with permission. Lady said her son built it of "ellum"I wish I could take credit as it is a beautiful piece.

Wow... That's a nice cabinet, the grain almost looks more like Aromatic Cedar than a hardwood in the picture. I've never worked with Elm but I've heard it can be a nightmare to get to dry straight once milled. I know it's hard as nails.

FWIW, Dad's side of the family is originally from Southwestern Ontario, down near Windsor, and my grandmother also pronounces it "ellum" for whatever reason. But that area can be like Canada's equivalent of the "Deep South" (no offense), some very interesting words and phrases come from there. On second thought, perhaps that would apply to Newfoundland better...

Back