Generator advice for my OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stipton

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I hope its ok to post this here. Lots of knowledgable contributers on this forum so I thought it was worth a shot.

I have the opportunity to buy a Yanmar key start diesel for a very good price. Only used a couple of hours. I know they make engines for John Deere tractors but not familiar with their generator lines.

Anyone have one? Would be a sweet addition to the toy collection.

Thanks!:cheers:

Yanmar holds a strong reputation, known for their marine gensets. If its a good deal to you, then go for it. :cheers:

I hope its ok to post this here. Lots of knowledgable contributers on this forum so I thought it was worth a shot.

I have the opportunity to buy a Yanmar key start diesel for a very good price. Only used a couple of hours. I know they make engines for John Deere tractors but not familiar with their generator lines.

Anyone have one? Would be a sweet addition to the toy collection.

Thanks!:cheers:

Have never heard much of anything bad out of the yanmars... If the "toy" turns out to be a pile of scrap metal there is alway "fleabay" to recoupe the $$ spent on it...

You asked about "for my OWB".
If it's really just for your draft and circulator motors, you want the smallest generator that will run them. Even better would be some batteries and an inverter to run for a few hours, then recharge with a generator run.. You'll find the fuel consumption of even a small generator will become significant, if you are talking about serious periods of running. Even 1/2 g/hr is 12 g/day, $36!

Whenever the generator runs, it should be catching up the refridgerator, freezer, welltank, and maybe washing some clothes. Otherwise, you are wasting fuel big time!

This shows what a bargain the electricity from the wires is such a good deal.
A gallon of gas makes about 10 hp-hr. With efficiencies included, that's maybe 5KWH. So for your $3+ of gas, you get about 50 CENTS worth of electricity!

I have a baby Honda that runs for several hours on a gallon...rated at 400 watts and will run the blower on my stove, plus a small tv and maybe a lamp.

I have been thinking about adding a OWB, I went to go look at some a local guy was selling he had his pump running off 4 lead acid batteries charged by a couple of solar panels with line electricity as back up.

Perhaps he means running from power line with battery backup. A panel large enough to handle the pump would be hundreds of bucks, then hundreds more for batteries, unless he has a source for takeouts from computer centers or cellsites.

You really can't beat the power company at their own game!

The purpose for the generator is to run the house, which included the owb, in times when the power goes out. I have the secondary box installed, ready to go. My thread was more to get an opinion of Yanmar products. Compared to a gas model that I already have, diesel runs longer, quieter and the fuel can sit around for several years. You can go 24 hours on just under 5 gallons. Incredible.
The closest dealer is in Pittsburgh and none of the local big box companines, Lowes or HD, do not carry this brand. I believe it is intended for commercial use.
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I have something similar right now. Gas powered, pull start. Looking to step up, a few more bells and whistles. Key start is a must. Good link though, thanks.

Just my $0.02 cents worth, but size matters and bigger is better.

The way a diesel regulates it's speed, and the way generators need to stay on speed are a perfect match. Diesels governors just tweek just enough fuel into the engine and having an 'over-kill' is not as costly as with gas engines.

Perhaps he means running from power line with battery backup. A panel large enough to handle the pump would be hundreds of bucks, then hundreds more for batteries, unless he has a source for takeouts from computer centers or cellsites.

Diesel

Don't think that fuel oil will keep for years.
If you don't treat it it will grow algae. Also collect water.
Keep an eye on it if you store it for long.

Nowadays you can get a real nice 5kw gen for $500, pull start. Thats enough to run a OWB, fridge, couple tvs, and some lights without running the gen at full load.

Once you go to key start you have another $500 and a battery to maintain, etc. The cheaper generator will use more fuel but if you save $500 on the purchase price your quite a ways ahead right away IMO.

Yanmar

Stipton, Yanmar makes a very good gen set. The power grid lines are over 5 miles from our place so we have learned a lot through the years about gen sets. My closest neighbor has 2 gen sets with Yanmar de eng on them. He doesnt seem to have any trouble out of them.
We run a Multi Quip Wisper Watt with a Kabota eng. No problems there.

Don't think that fuel oil will keep for years.
If you don't treat it it will grow algae. Also collect water.
Keep an eye on it if you store it for long.

Trick is to keep the tanks full and a good quality filtered vent on the tank. If you know there is going to be the potential for long term diesel storage strain the fuel before it gets put into the tank. This will also help. Keeping the fuel cool helps to prevent the algae growth but promotes moisure hence the keeping the tank full. Just a few tips on diesel fuel. Oh and fuel filters on this type of unit should be chaned yearly as preventive maint regaurdless of usage.

You're probably right, I now see the current that those pumps draw.

Latest posts

Back