Gentlemen Saw Users or Geeks or Nerds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sir, you do not know what you are missing.Good , no "Great" people,excellent conversations, and good cold weather. Lots of fun.If you would like to learn how to have a good time,simply wait until someone has a GTG in your area.This was my first in NY 2004, mid March I believe at Jokers Homestead.Some great burgers. I enjoyed every minute. On the video, no audio for the first 30 seconds, Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kASU_CEpRRk

It's like you all take turns. You need the Ford-Toyota yarding system with haulback line so more people can play.:)

Yes, today I annoyed loggers, counted staples, and then killed alder. No videos. I do have some very poor quality ones of logging in the Forestry/Logging forum, and then there's the stills of me playing mud princess part time chaser. Did you know that Twinkle didn't have to be filed nearly as much as I thought during the mud cutting?

I have climbed a couple of trees but with a hatchet. We just needed some bark thickness measurements, but now I realize that was foolish. it is much easier to measure bark when the tree is horizontal and on the ground. Work smart, not hard. Now excuse me, I need to make a salad.

I do have some vids of cookie cutting.When I am doing real cutting there are no cameras,most people don't even want to get close to me when I am in my cutting mood:chainsaw: I have a pic of me baking cookies:hmm3grin2orange:
attachment.php

that reminds me. Since I don't heat with wood and the only fires I have are in the outdoor firepit. Cookies are ideal for this. They season in no time, burn bright hot and quick, with little smoke. Kinda win-win really.

that reminds me. Since I don't heat with wood and the only fires I have are in the outdoor firepit. Cookies are ideal for this. They season in no time, burn bright hot and quick, with little smoke. Kinda win-win really.
Yeah,and if you like to add a little smoke flavor to your meat you can,t beat cookies.Like you say they start checking up in a matter of days and you can just brake off chunks with your hand.Give cherry a try.Ron

This is the best I can do for you right now, breaking in the new 5100 on a dead elm in the pasture, but on top of a hill at least:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FwnYpoojefs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FwnYpoojefs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Gimme a couple months and there will most likely be video of the Massey Ferguson "Midwestern Yarder" in a bunch of the white stuff with the tire chains a clanging, dragging the wood up the hill out of the woods, and some of the 7300 working over some 2' + diameter red oak.

I'm with ya though, you've seen one cookie video, you've seen em all. :chainsaw:

slowp

love this thread, have you had to use you baseball bat lately? hows your new house coming? keep barbie sharp!!

Yeah,and if you like to add a little smoke flavor to your meat you can,t beat cookies.Like you say they start checking up in a matter of days and you can just brake off chunks with your hand.Give cherry a try.Ron

A man after my own heart. The few wild cherry cookies I have are for that exact purpose!!

'Nother day in the woods laying out timber sales for me. This one's a stand of NICE Alder (~30" DBH, >100' tall) that just sort of got overlooked for about 40 years. The roads are a mess. There's blowdowns jackstrawed over nearly a foot of decaying leaf matter, and it rained this morning so it was sloppy too. Gotta get the big stuff out of there so the grader can get in to scrape back down to hardpan. Most of the big stuff is Bigleaf Maple and Douglas-Fir; the Alders blown down are all small and suppressed. Gonna be a nice sale when it's done. The residual stand will be ~70 year old DF with a moist understory. Oh, and winter's coming. Better have that thing graded before the rains or I'll be stuck sitting on this one 'til next summer!

It's like you all take turns. You need the Ford-Toyota yarding system with haulback line so more people can play.:)

Yes, today I annoyed loggers, counted staples, and then killed alder. No videos. I do have some very poor quality ones of logging in the Forestry/Logging forum, and then there's the stills of me playing mud princess part time chaser. Did you know that Twinkle didn't have to be filed nearly as much as I thought during the mud cutting?

I have climbed a couple of trees but with a hatchet. We just needed some bark thickness measurements, but now I realize that was foolish. it is much easier to measure bark when the tree is horizontal and on the ground. Work smart, not hard. Now excuse me, I need to make a salad.

Did anybody get any pictures of the Ford/Toyota ground lead yarder system?

I think I have one somewhere, along with the Mean Hooktender photo. I just have the Ford cornerblock in it though, not the Toyota.

Ahh, here we are.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=99410&highlight=PNW+GTG

For more lift, maybe one of those big wheel pickups should be used.:)

Gentlemen Saw Users, We had a modified high lead yarding system in place at the PNW GTG. It was used to break up the log deck and spread the logs around a bit more to make things a little less exciting. Which is a good thing.

We cut firewood, not cookies. I didn't make any chocolate chip cookies either. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back