Genuine stihl quality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people here like the junk carbs and the cheap pistons handles etc.
What is wrong with one all put together from that stuff?
I don't buy that crap myself, nor do I sell it, but many here do.....
What is the difference?

Nothing wrong with getting one of these but I wouldn't give a grand for one. I would like to try a saw from Zomax but you have to buy 100 to from them.

aliexpress 2 for 866. If they are very close to the same specs you could throw some genuine stihl parts on and have a very good saw.

Sadly this is a growing trend. I like aftermarket parts in some cases, but.........
I can get, in hand, landed and customs paid in the US, PHO clones for at least a dozen different popular Stihl and Husky models.
Apparently the lure is there to sell counterfeits.
I built and sold at cost some AM 361s and 660s to a local tree service. The owner knew what was up but didn't tell his guys.
They abuse the crap out of them just like the real thing for about a year and half now.
We chatted last week about them and he said they seem to last just as well, but he would rather buy new OEM and isn't really sure why.
All the consumable type stuff seems to die a little faster than oem, like sprocket rims, fuel lines and filters, clutches.
The Aftermarket version is no more able to resist the power of a falling tree than an OEM.
AV buffers seem to last better on the AM 660 :)
AM oil pumps seem to be the high output model, but we never did a scientific test.
Hunai carbs seem to need rebuild replacement a lot earlier.
Had a 361 crank get burned up by a non-chain sharpening hack 2 months plus of storm damage clean up with literally no sharpening on one chain.
Air filters are less durable, but these guys clean everything by dumping old mix on it.
Had a stripped bar stud on a 361 body.
Chain catchers seem softer, so they stop the chain better and quicker but get ate up fast.
This guy eventually had 4 AM361 and 7 AM660, 10 of them are still running, the last was crushed by a tree.
He said his guys never said anything but when he runs them these days it seem like they have less power left than the OEM of the same age.
Take all that for what you paid but if you want one to play with don't go to ali-anything, dont pay $450 for a C660 and don't expect everything to be perfect or as good as OEM.

In my mind, there is nothing wrong with aftermarket parts, but not aftermarket saws. i want to try
Most people here like the junk carbs and the cheap pistons handles etc.
What is wrong with one all put together from that stuff?
I don't buy that crap myself, nor do I sell it, but many here do.....
I'll admit it, I sell a lot of saws with aftermarket parts.on them. But the buyers are always aware. For example, I sell a lot of farmertec top end kits for the 1127,series of saws to farmers, they would much rather pay 50 bucks for a PC than 225 at the stihl dealer just to have it get straight gassed or severely neglected. I just had a customer bring in an 066 that is burned up, and with it came a new aftermarket PC in a plain white box. I gave him the option of purchasing a good used cylinder from me, but he wants to use the aftermarket. Can't really argue with what the customer wants I guess

He changed his add to aftermarket at first it sounded like they were the real deal.

Sadly this is a growing trend. I like aftermarket parts in some cases, but.........
I can get, in hand, landed and customs paid in the US, PHO clones for at least a dozen different popular Stihl and Husky models.
Apparently the lure is there to sell counterfeits.
I built and sold at cost some AM 361s and 660s to a local tree service. The owner knew what was up but didn't tell his guys.
They abuse the crap out of them just like the real thing for about a year and half now.
We chatted last week about them and he said they seem to last just as well, but he would rather buy new OEM and isn't really sure why.
All the consumable type stuff seems to die a little faster than oem, like sprocket rims, fuel lines and filters, clutches.
The Aftermarket version is no more able to resist the power of a falling tree than an OEM.
AV buffers seem to last better on the AM 660 :)
AM oil pumps seem to be the high output model, but we never did a scientific test.
Hunai carbs seem to need rebuild replacement a lot earlier.
Had a 361 crank get burned up by a non-chain sharpening hack 2 months plus of storm damage clean up with literally no sharpening on one chain.
Air filters are less durable, but these guys clean everything by dumping old mix on it.
Had a stripped bar stud on a 361 body.
Chain catchers seem softer, so they stop the chain better and quicker but get ate up fast.
This guy eventually had 4 AM361 and 7 AM660, 10 of them are still running, the last was crushed by a tree.
He said his guys never said anything but when he runs them these days it seem like they have less power left than the OEM of the same age.
Take all that for what you paid but if you want one to play with don't go to ali-anything, dont pay $450 for a C660 and don't expect everything to be perfect or as good as OEM.
This makes sense - the design is the same, but likely less accurate machining, and metallurgy, heat treating and plating not up to snuff. That would show up in ultimate longevity, but not really in performance and basic function.

Back