Get your saws vaccinated!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfbolin

Hey y'all! Watch this!
Reaction score
Hi folks. New here. Been lurking and learning for some time. Now decided to join and post. I started out last week with 3 sharp and happy saws- or so I thought. I am way behind on firewood right now so I have been running out and cutting any time I could get free. I use an 009l with 12 inch bar for the little stuff. An 028 with a 20" Rollamatic E (I know that is a stretch) and an echo cs 8000P with 24 0r 36" for the big stuff. The Echo is older but I bought used with 36" bar and original chain, Doubt if it had 10 hrs on it. Always been a little hard to start . Feels like it needs a cr. Has 155lbs comp cold and passes pressure and vac testing. Never has ran just the smoothest either no matter where its tuned but always has been good in the grunt zone. So I am bucking up a 24" oak and get almost through it when it just barely started to pinch. Before I could get it leveled up and shut down to put wedge in to it pops like a backfire and I looked down and it is running backwards. ??????? So I kill it and get it out and fuel it up. Figure fluke deal. I know a 2 stroke detroit can run backwards if you lug it down and kill it in the right environment. Go to start it and it just pops near the end of every pull that it doesn't kick back on. So I pull flywheel thinking keyway problem but all is well. So am I right to assume coil? Same day the coil pukes on the 009L. (3rd coil in 7 yrs, BTDT) and 028 acted like crank seal went bad (just changed them 2 hrs ago + or -.) That turns out to be impulse hose and carb and /or both. Got it going. Think it is time for a ms260 or ms261 . How would those two saws compare to an 028 wb? May ditch the 009L for a 180 or 193T . Any advice here? Just sick of working on saws in my limited time to cut wood. Think I will keep the ECHO cause I am in it right and it is nearly new even if it is 25 yrs old. Seems like my saws all got sick on same day. Checked with Echo dealer and lifetime warranty on ignition only applies to original purchaser. About 90 bucks with shipping he says.

I'd go 193t for the lighter stuff and a Ms 362 with a 20" bar/chain. That 028 will feel like a concrete block compared to the 362

Piston port two strokes can run backwards given the right circumstances. The port timing is symmetrical so it'll work equally well in reverse. The igniton timing however is not. When running backwards it'll be severely retarded. But it'll run. Back when there were piston port two stroke MX bikes sometimes guys accidentally got theirs running backwards and with all the noise and excitement didn't hear the difference. But they felt it when the gate dropped!

Wow.....might be time for a couple of new saws.
Me personally, if i can't block it up with an 18" bar, it's to big for my back to handle.....at my age.

My biggest saw as we speak is a 50cc Echo CS490.

I have to admit, in my 35yrs of cutting wood I've never experienced that many issues with any saw.
Your having a streak of bad luck.

Piston port two strokes can run backwards given the right circumstances. The port timing is symmetrical so it'll work equally well in reverse. The igniton timing however is not. When running backwards it'll be severely retarded. But it'll run. Back when there were piston port two stroke MX bikes sometimes guys accidentally got theirs running backwards and with all the noise and excitement didn't hear the difference. But they felt it when the gate dropped!

Usually on a hill they could not top and they began running back down, backwards. I've seen that on USDT races ( six day trails).

Latest posts

Back