getting rid of debris

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
OK guys- here is the question. How does a smaller company get rid of wood/crappy chips if he doesn't have the money to buy a $32K chipper that can chip most of the wood and make beautiful chips? Good chips are fairly easy to give away, but my boss has an old Chuck-N-Duck that won't take over 3" hardwood or 4"-5" softwood. We fill his Prentice loader almost every day with crap wood, and the 'chips' are mostly leaves and stringy crap. We haul almost everything about 25 miles to a cheap dump, almost daily. Hard miles on old trucks. :(

The thing has a V-8 and wonts chip but 3" hardwood? Brian The bed knife probably needs changing I run the clearance on mine between blades and Bed knife at .012-.015 And the chips look nice. People are always asking for them.

Brian, I'm not sure if there are properties down there that still have wooded areas on them... but! If you are doing work at those types of places... talk to the owners and sell them on the benefits of chipping in the woods. You would be suprised how much chips you can get rid of in wooded areas. Or the other option would be for people who have lots of gardens or larger gardens... use mulch for stuff near the house / driveway / pool / etc. However the stuff that is farther back from the bed lines... use chips to fill in those areas. It is cheaper and it makes for some contrast between materials.

I like to find a vacant House with a for Sale sign on it and dump them in the Yard. :D

My chuck + duck chips real good too when sharp and set up right. Maybe it's the kind of trees? Sounds like he needs a newer bigger truck too!
We have a county run recycling center here that charges by the ton, works great for me cause I'm only about 5 minutes from it, alot of contractors go there, they grind everything up and the homeowners scramble to get it. They even installed a self loading hopper kind of deal that you can pull your pickup under and pull the chain and it starts dumping. Love to watch people use it and suck dust just for some free mulch:laugh: Supposedly this is one of the few recycling centers in the country that actually makes a profit. There are also maybe 10 other co's or nurseries around that are competing for the green waste but their charges are out of whack.
Back to the point, if you don't have something like that around, I know a guy that rents a big enough lot that he just dumps in his lot and has a guy come once a month to clean it up with a loader and tractor trailers, it's actually real reasonable when you're dealing with large amounts at once.

Dump in your own yard and publish a book "Better Insulation at No Cost" or " An Underground House In 18 Months":D Seriously it sounds like your machine has a serious knife/set up problem.

Back