giant black locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one that is 4' DBH and probably 80' high outside my kitchen window. It has 4 stems that grew together. One of these days it is going to have to come down. I have mixed feelings about it. It is the only shade tree on the west side of the house but it isn't very pretty and it sure will make a bunch of good firewood.

Nice score.

why?? hatchet to take off thorns as high as I can reach. knock it down, then hatchet all those I see off....throw them in a 5 gal pail,,and then on the brush pile,,then big fire...
How many years does it take the thorns to rot if they are scattered around the ground near a dead tree?

How many years does it take the thorns to rot if they are scattered around the ground near a dead tree?
would say loooong time..but the ones I took down,,i seen no thorns on the ground,,and I looked.. this while they were standing...some say girdle,,wait a yr or so..then take down,,as needles fall off..now THAT! I wouldn't like at all,,less wearing steel bottom shoes!!!!

Unfortunately locust scrounges are not an option for me. Although I have a small thornless one in my yard and my neighbor does have a few blacks planted in his yard. I am seeing more of the thornless honey locusts planted in cities but it will be years before they are large enough to scrounge.

Holy shirt! Never seen any BL that big out here. I love burning that wood though.

I have cut several that size . Planted by the original settlers. Seen one that has to be at least 6' across. I wanted to be there when they fell it but missed out.
Unfortunately locust scrounges are not an option for me. Although I have a small thornless one in my yard and my neighbor does have a few blacks planted in his yard. I am seeing more of the thornless honey locusts planted in cities but it will be years before they are large enough to scrounge.

I got lucky about 10 years ago but at a cost to a lot of other people. The locust borere moved in and pretty well killed most of the black locust withing a 20mile radius. I pretry much clear cut the county of dead bl. Best score was clearcut of about 5 acres one site (big old trees) and another about 3 acres. Plus lots of fencerow trees. BL is not native here, what are here were planted by the settlers back in the homestead days and other farmers since.

At one time I had approx 80 cord in the stash. More like 60 now.

Just remember where they are when you're working around them....was tending to the far back corner of the yard this past weekend and backed up into one...took an inch of thorn into my bicep. Almost cut it down on the spot out of pure rage!!
Definately knock the thorns off as much as you need to so you don't think someone snuck up behind you and hit you with a taser. Lesson learned.
Glad to hear it burns well.
Question, anyone know why horses chew on them? My folks had a grove of black locust in their pasture and they were the only trees with all the bark chewed off??
Something good must have been in there to be gnawing around those spikes .

Looks like serious work! A lot of BTU's in that picture. How does the Fiskars handle the splitting?
not as good as my big ox i use the fiskers more as a splitting aid when i noodle big rounds so i dont hit the dirt with the saw (the ox is my go to tool to split wood since i got it)

Latest posts

Back