Glass Cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Those of you that have glass doors on your woodburners... what do you clean the glass with. My Hearthstone Mansfield supposedly has an "air was" system to keep it clean. Ya right. I use coals from the firebox and a wet rag, but it's a pain. Is there some other effective concoction I'm missing out on ?

Yes there is. I know I'll probably get some negative remarks about recommending a chemical cleaner but this one works like a champ.

The name of it is Knight's Fireview. Just open your door on the stove when the glass is cold (no fire for a while) and spray this on. Have a few folds of newspaper spread out for the ooze to drop on. It works almost as soon as it hits the glass so have some paper towels ready to wipe the glass.

I'm not sure where I bought it but it was either Lowes, Orscheln or Tractor Supply.

Nosmo

I don't have the years of experience like some of you but it seems to me that if your wood isn't dry and/or you don't burn hot enough that you are bound to have to clean your glass often. my stove is burning 24/7 from mid November to whenever winter is over and I only have to clean the glass once every six weeks or so and even then its just a thin layer of gray film. I just took this picture and haven't cleaned the glass for weeks.

Attachments

• 2013-12-20 16.50.54.jpg
    2013-12-20 16.50.54.jpg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 37
Spray glass cleaner 4/1 with ammonia. Gets anything on the glass, off. A paper towel lasts for months, even.

best stuff i have ever found is easy-off oven cleaner. the fume free kind (blue cap). i spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, wipes rite off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 my woodstove door has pins for hinges, takes two seconds to remove the door, set it down, spray the top of the glass, one or two beer wait, wipes clean; year fourteen and cleans up good as new.

I'd watch out….I did this the very first time & permanently scratched the glass.

I use Rutland Conditioning Glass Cleaner. Will clean Any amount of soot/creosote from glass.
the Rutland stuff works well, but so does ashes. The key is to use a fairly wet rag and the soft, fluffy ashes. I believe the ash and water makes lye.

Clean it and then wipe it down with a little silicon spray. Makes the next cleaning much easier.

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back