GMC C6500 CLUTCH-Dealer says $8k to replace?? anybody have some insight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am lucky though , they treat me like a son . I am allowed to use anything they have to offer on the shop , took me 12 years to soften them up though ! I doubt there are many tree guys around me that have such a good shop , but we can break some #### pretty regularly so we need it :hmm3grin2orange:

I am lucky though , they treat me like a son . I am allowed to use anything they have to offer on the shop , took me 12 years to soften them up though ! I doubt there are many tree guys around me that have such a good shop , but we can break some #### pretty regularly so we need it :hmm3grin2orange:

I've actually never tried lifting the truck off the ground with the outriggers. I have to change the oil soon ill see what kind of height I can get out if it.

Without some kind of lift its unreal I weigh 180 pounds and its tight on a crawler for me around the axles and steps.

Was a real ##### greasing them

I've actually never tried lifting the truck off the ground with the outriggers. I have to change the oil soon ill see what kind of height I can get out if it.

Without some kind of lift its unreal I weigh 180 pounds and its tight on a crawler for me around the axles and steps.

Flip the bucket over the back and let it Hang like a counterweight , the truck comes up easy off the outriggers , then I usually crib up under the wheels and you can return the bucket and your good , mine will get a tire off the ground 6" with some nice cribbing

Make sure you dont go and get your rigs stuck by letting them out too far. They can bind in the housing, and you need to take weight off of them to get them to retract if you do.

Looking at buying a 2001 c6500 GMC with a cat motor and manual trans. The clutch seems to engage at the very end of the stroke ( the top) making me think it's worn out. I think these are self adjusting clutches that dont need to be adjusted. I called the GM dealer they quoted me $8k to replace, not sure if that was a rebuild kit or complete clutch ( includes labour/14 hrs). That seems really high? I havent bought the truck yet but im looking to see what it would cost if the clutch started slipping. thanks guys

That's frigin insane! Is you clutch gold plated or what?!?! Last time I replaced a truck clutch it was an 82 F700 4x4, clutch kit cost maybe $500 and it took me a day by myself. $8,000 is bs, and they are thieves. I can replace the whole tranny and clutch for less then that.

I didn't know that . How can they be damaged ? I was under the assumption the piston is positioned inside the outrigger sleave . And to fully extend the outrigger would it fall out ? I would love to see one apart .

Some how the sleeve rubs on the cylinder casing scratching it when fully extended under load because it rocks more.

The pad of my outrigger , is the end of the ram , the piston can is pinned to the top of the case . I see that mine has wear welds on the top and sides . I will check more thoroughly tomorrow and try to look up in there and check er out ! :hmm3grin2orange:

The pad of my outrigger , is the end of the ram , the piston can is pinned to the top of the case . I see that mine has wear welds on the top and sides . I will check more thoroughly tomorrow and try to look up in there and check er out ! :hmm3grin2orange:

Call Brian during the week if you need more info Home

Make sure you dont go and get your rigs stuck by letting them out too far. They can bind in the housing, and you need to take weight off of them to get them to retract if you do.

I have had my front tires over 2' off the ground to level out before without any problems. The gas tank step was above my waist. You can actually get the back tires off the ground on one side at a time if you extend it far enough.

I have had my front tires over 2' off the ground to level out before without any problems. The gas tank step was above my waist. You can actually get the back tires off the ground on one side at a time if you extend it far enough.

Well that's swell.

All I'm saying is that it can happen, I've done it. And if you dont have jacks and cribbage to take the trucks weight off of them, your effed. '

That just happened to us this afternoon. truck was on uneven ground so the one side was all the way extended it would not come back up so I put the other side down hard which pushed it back up or in a little then it would work after that.

I didn't know that . How can they be damaged ? I was under the assumption the piston is positioned inside the outrigger sleave . And to fully extend the outrigger would it fall out ? I would love to see one apart .

base end of o/r cyl. is pinned to top of outer o/r tube. rod end or o/r cylinder pinned to bottom end of inner o/r tube, result can't come out unless cylinder head comes off-unlikely. (even with full extension) try it with o/r positioned over a hole just to satisfy your concern.

boy that must be a pretty crazy grade you where working on. I've never ran the truck with the tires off the ground only a crane. i had a front outrigger put on the kboom so i can level out on hills a bucket having similar outrigger could be kind of sweet, when you get on a super steep grade its hard on the turret would be nice to be able to level the front as well as the sides.

i know if you go real far to one side with a bucket you can start breaking stuff underneath shackles springs and so on. the cranes outriggers extend far enough to get some serious height but they go straight down, i would guess it will go about 4 feet in the air. But even when they do training on kbooms they dont lift try and get the truck off the ground if you watch all of mike poors videos allmark ive never seen anyone try and level one like a crane.

Last edited:
Back