Go ahead and flame me - but advice and advise are not the same word

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaylandGay, "English," is a proper noun and requires capitalization; even in the game of billiards where it can be employed as in life, in a subtle or devastating fashion. Billiards is known colloquially as, "pool," and that starts with, "P," and that rhymes with, "T," and that stands for trouble.

Depends on what rules you follow. I never capitalize english when I mean side. Quite correct according to some "rules of English" I read somewhere. That's one problem, some of the rules of English have changed considerably over the last fifty or seventy-five years some of us have been on this earth!

Something else, when I'm typing wide open at a screaming twelve and a half words a minute my fingers do weird things. "are" and "or" are interchanged freely, for some reason I also swap "I" and "a" and several other things that don't make sense. Add to that when my arthritis flares up my fingers get out of synch and "th" comes out "ht" which drives me crazy after I do it four dozen times. As a touch typist I should either be a lot faster or a lot more accurate!

One thing I have always wanted if I stumbled across them cheap was a set of dictionaries. There are dictionaries that are like Encyclopedia Britannica once was, a volume for each letter or two. A dictionary fills a small bookcase. A lot of words and word alternatives that we don't think of now. Every once in awhile I discover that Webster no longer considers a perfectly good word from my younger years a valid word!

Oh yeah, "hustler" covers more than pool hustlers, but when what he is using as a con actually works is he still a hustler?? Haven't seen The Music Man in years.

Hu

Latest posts

Back