going to get a better second saw! husky , stihl, echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flewism

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
all my cutting is for firewood, for my fire places, parent's, camping and party bonfires. I was doing 3-4 cord a year, but this year I will do about 10 cord or more. I bought a semi load of mostly ash . Then I am helping a friend thin a wooded 10 acre parcel and I can have all the wood I want. Basicly since I've moved out to the country, bought a saw and splitter, I am turning into a firewood guy
saws I have looked at are the husky's 455 and 359 at lowes, and priced them out on the web
stihl, I will see them tomorrow for the first time, both dealers within 20 miles of my home keep bankers hours, I wasn't going to take off work to buy a chainsaw, no web pricing? but looking at their website I think a ms310 or ms361 woud fit the bill, I found a dealer in the city, close to work. I will check them out at lunch
I did get to touch a echo cs520 the biggest at homedepot . and I liked the feel of it better than the husky's, but I'm leaning closer to 55-60cc saws, no dealers found yet, within 50 miles.
My first saw is a poulan 295, 46cc, 20" bar, this saw is 6 years old, and has done all my cutting so far, including that load of ash, which is all bucked and ready for the splitter.
The plan is to get a better saw , that will handle a 20" bar with ease, then fix up the poulan with some parts and a 14 or 16" bar.
the poulan still runs strong compression is good, I opened the muffler and carb a couple years ago, but all the heat shields are shot, the chain brake doesn't work needs new, fuel and air filter could use new too, I got my parts list to call in tomorrow

right now depending how it goes at the stihl dealer, the husky 359 has the nod.
I'm in monroe county, SE MI, still looking for a Echo dealer
and any input,

if i was in your shoes i would definately get the ms361 its a great saw. its hard to find anyone who has a negative thing to say about a ms361.
take care and goodluck with your new purchase...

361s are ok, probably great for weekend warriors. If you want a Husky, look to a 357XP.

clearance said:
361s are ok, probably great for weekend warriors. If you want a Husky, look to a 357XP.
I second that . 357xp is a great chainsaw .I understand the 361 is also if you can find a dealer. I myself went through the dealer deal and came out with a bad tast in my mouth so i ended up going through the net with better support and service. Good choice to have at least 2 chainsaws.

Try to find a good dealer near you for whatever brand you choose, as for the Poulan 295 if you liked it you might be better of looking at a recon unit rather then buying all the parts you need separate and change parts as needed.
361 is hard to beat and I don't hold any allegiance to Stihl, bit pricy though. Have friends who like their Huskys, I just haven't kept up with their model #s.

flewism said:
no web pricing? but looking at their website I think a ms310 or ms361 woud fit the bill...

Stihl doesn't sell via the web or mail order. It's their policy.

What's your price range? I've owned each of these saws, and the 361 is the better saw in absolutely every way. Clearance and I are most often on the same page, but he's not a fan of the 361, and I'm a huge fan of it. I consider it much more than a weekend warrior saw, and while it's not a core timber saw, I run it thinning or in lighter timber. It'll carry a 20"-24" bar with ease, and will handle firewood superbly. Most here run it with an 18"-20" bar and are quite happy with it. I run it with a 24", and it has yet to fail me, not make the cut, or disappoint me. If you can swing the price tag, it's one of finest 55-60cc saws you'll own.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Last edited:
After some more reading I think both the husky 455 and the 359 are out
I didn't realize that that these are still geared to the homeowner. and are not husky's best in that size class. So I will have to find a husky dealer also.

as far as the poulan is concerned the only thing I like about it is it was my first saw, I know how it runs, what it can and can't do. the only part I need that I expect to be high dollar is the chain brake asm, the shields, filters and gaskets are cheap. If these parts total anywhere near $100 I wont buy it. the saw still cuts, the heat shields are the biggest thing, the filters I've been cleaning as required, it just needs new so they clean up better
then I will wait and look for a used garage sale saw, for parts, just for the brake asm.
those recon units are $125.
I don't plan on putting $125 into this saw including the 16" bar and a couple of chains

so we have a;
stihl ms361 will see and price tomorrow at lunch

husky 365 on line at baileys w/ 20" bar and chain $500 plus something
husky 357xp on line at baileys $500 plus bar and chain $575 about??
have to find a husky dealer so I can touch them

and a

dolmar 6400, J & R tractor in monroe sell them, I know these guys they sell new hollands and I have one. I didn't buy it there thou, saved $2000 going somewhere else. and they close at 5PM

So it looks like I'm in the $600 range for a top of the line 60cc saw

thanks guys, I'll let you know the story, when I figure it out

Last edited:
pbtree said:
Check Baileys - still have Husly 365, and for the money they are a great saw...
I could'nt agree more. I bought a Husky 365...not one iota of sorrow. I love it and it cuts great..loads of torque.

Lakeside53 said:
Jeff said everything I wanted to say, so

fishhuntcutwood said:
HA! Now you know how I feel when I log on and you've given all the opinions that I wanted to!

Okay, it's clear that one of you is unnecessary. We'll have to declare one of you surplus and auction you off to the highest bidder. Who's it going to be?

:buttkick:

:D

BlueRidgeMark said:
Okay, it's clear that one of you is unnecessary. We'll have to declare one of you surplus and auction you off to the highest bidder. Who's it going to be?

:buttkick:

:D

I'm very cheap...:help: but then again you probably want a high price, so sell Jeff...:monkey:

The saws you are looking at are all fine saws. If I were you I would make the final decision based on the dealer. You -will- be going back to him fairly regularly for more supplies (fuel mix, bar oil, new chains, tune-ups or parts) etc. Get to know him and give him enough business so when you need a saw fixed or a chain sharped you aren't set on the 'do it someday' shelf.

Harry K

Few on here will give an Echo status above a red headed step child but I bought a 520 Echo so an employee could clear a lot we rent. Didnt want him to trash a high dollar saw but it turns out he is good with the saw and the 520 impresses the heck out of me for both power and quality for the buck. I am not sure if its enough more saw at 50CC or not for your situation. A 361 could be a wise choice, as could several Husky's, or Dolmars, sounds like your not color blind like some of us, I'd go with the brand that has a good dealer (not box store) close.

turnkey4099 said:
The saws you are looking at are all fine saws. If I were you I would make the final decision based on the dealer. You -will- be going back to him fairly regularly for more supplies (fuel mix, bar oil, new chains, tune-ups or parts) etc. Get to know him and give him enough business so when you need a saw fixed or a chain sharped you aren't set on the 'do it someday' shelf.

Harry K
Best advice so far I think, its not like you can go too far wrong with a pro Husky or Stihl saw. Make sure you have PPE.

Latest posts

Back