going to get a better second saw! husky , stihl, echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a 359 Husky and thats what I cut all my firewood with. By the way Husky considers this a pro saw. I usually cut about 25 face cords ( thats what everyone goes by around here) a year. I have cut about 40 face cords this spring because I got a deal on logs, and I still have about 10 to 12 left sitting in the log pile. It will cut anything I cut with out hesitation and I cut nothing but hard woods for firewood ( Maple, Beech, ash, cherry). But as everyone else has stated any of the ones listed should give you a fine fire wood saw, also as stated think about the dealer support, some sell great stuff and just stink at dealing with people, and others will bend over backwards to do you right and keep you coming back, thats what means alot to me when spending my hard earned money. Good luck and be safe. PPE is worth the few extra bucks.

can't beat any of them.

the 359 isn't a homeowner saw.my partner has one and it has withstood his abuse and then some.great saw.i have a 357 xp and i'd buy ten more.love the power and RPMs.361 is a nice saw as well.as far as dealers,the dolmar guy in my area is the best personality wise.willing to spend time with you and is a great mechanic.just wish he carried husky.

I'll agree with a few people here...

All of the saws you mentioned would suite you well and last a long time with maintence. (except 455 rancher, I'm not a fan of that one).

The 357 and 359 are basically the same saw. There are some differences inside the engine to give the 357xp a tad more umph than the 359. Point being, they are built on the same chassis and are meant to for professional use.

I haven't ran a 361 yet, but I have not heard one bad thing about them.

Now for my advice...Get a 365. I have had two of them since 2000. They were 99 models and I bought them when they were one year old from the place I used to work. I normally cut about 15 cord a year. I kept two around, because I always thought one might give me problems...Never did until recently. I had an oil pump go bad. But after 7 years, i wasn't complaining.

The 365 will weigh a little more than the 357 0r 359. But, it has the bigger bar mount so you can run a bar bigger than 24" if you need to. I had a 28" on mine when it was stock. It pulled the long bar better than i had thought. It is also going to have a ton more torque than the smaller cc saws. They are great saws with great antivibe, great air filtration and tons of power. It also shares the same chassis as the 371/372, so you could upgrade if you ever needed to. I turned one of my 365's into a 372 and love every minute of it. The 372 is one of the baddest saws ever made, and the best part is, it doesn't weigh anymore...

When I bought my pair of 365's, they retailed for around 680-700 each. So, 500 through baileys sounds like an excellant deal. They may not be around too much longer, as epa doesn't like them...

Good luck in your choice. Try to pick one saw that will have a good dealer support in the area. It helps when you need little things

-Steve

6401 Makita

If you think buying about a Makita, there is a store on Ebay that sells them. Here is the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKITA-BRAND-NE...8QQihZ007QQcategoryZ20538QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Never have priced one myself but the price on it seems reasonable. Someone on the site that has purchased one will be more helpful with that. There again you aren't buying from a local dealer which has it's benefits. Good luck.

i have a couple stihls and a couple huskys.... i still dunno what i like better... huskys do have more torque though :rock:

OK, I went to a stihl dealer yesterday at lunch, he had no saws at all in stock. I told him my plan, and the saw I wanted to look at. Then he did alot of talking and showing me pictures and he says I don't need a ms361. I need a ms290 farmboss, the ms361 is way to much saw and it is a waste of money to buy one. he uses a ms290, his brother uses one also, they cut 20 full cord a month to sell and the ms290 is the saw they use and I should buy.
then I asked about the ms260, ( read about the guy from indy with the green tractor trading in his ms290 for a ms260) he breezed right over that, and says the ms290 is the saw for me, a great saw. I wasn't willing to order one without touching it so I left my phone numbers and told him to call me when he has something in stock. I did get prices on the 3 saws
ms361--- $599 with 20" bar
ms260--- $449 with 20" bar
ms290--- $349 with 20" bar
then I call J & R tractor in monroe the Dolmar dealer, ask about the ps6400, ps540 and ps510 they shuffled me around on the phone to different people twice, as I asked questions. The bottom line they don't know much about these saws (or the guy who does wasn't there). the only saw they have in stock is the ps7300. So I didn't bother going to their shop
prices;
ps6400 $585 with 20" bar
ps540 or ps510 $350 with 18" bar

the best info I got was from a guy at work who runs a firewood buisness on the side. He tells me pro husqvarna. he told me he has cut 300 full cord of oak in the last 3 years with one saw a 346xp. He does routine mantenence and has changed the plug once, in the 3 years he has owned it. He told me he changes the chain every 3 or 4 tanks of fuel, he has 18 chains for this saw and a electric bench chain sharpener. he buys his chains at baileys premade, the woodsman pro stuff. He has 5 othe saws including a 50rancher, the largest is a 83cc old poulan, but this is the one he likes the best for weight and power. Then today he brings this saw into work along with a couple of 12-14" logs, it cut those logs in 3-4 seconds it's a pretty cool saw, very strong bite. He runs a 16" bar, has a 20" for it, he can barely tell the difference in the saw when the 20" is on.
that saw is $409 at baileys plus bar and chain.
he lives 100 miles away from my house (60 miles from work) but has a buddy that sells huskys.

yesterday I called the local stihl dealer by my house and left a message, no return call yet.
I told a few guys at work all about this, now I have a ms290 coming to work to checkout, if he remembers, those cut logs are still behind the shop
I did order all the parts for the poulan 295, $37.01 ' in next Wed.

i have a 55 rancher,a 357xp,a 141,and a dolmar 112.

i use the 55 rancher the most.put a good chain on it and it's a great saw.a 346xp will be my next purchace.the only stihl chainsaw i ever bought was used ,an 025,so i'm not sure if their dealer arrogance disappears after you buy the saw.i think they make a fine product but husky just seems better in the hand.stihl chains are the best though.i haven't tried the woodsman pro chains.i did get a forester chain once and it wasn't bad but everytime i put a stihl RSC chain on a saw it cuts like mad.

300 cords with a 346? I know its a little screamer, like the old 254 but c'mon, for firewood? No replacement for displacement, how about a 372? I wouldn't and don't use anything smaller than 60-70cc. Like my 371, perfect for firewood.

300 cords ..............Sounds like a lot of 12" pine . I love my 346xp but wow, 300 cords? I can see it done .... but again , small wood .

Well the 290 is a fine saw in it's intended role. I've always said that. It'll certainly work, and will save you some money. But take it from a guy (me) who ditched his MS 310 (same as 290, but with more hp) in favor of the 361. If you can swing price tag on a 361, DO IT! The 290 is heavier than it needs to be. But that said, if you run a 290 and never another saw, you'll be happy with it. Run a 361, or any other pro offering from Stihl, Husky or otherwise and you'll do what I did--sell the homeowner saw in favor of a pro grade saw.

Jeff

flewism said:
OK, I went to a stihl dealer yesterday at lunch, he had no saws at all in stock.

He tells me pro husqvarna. he told me he has cut 300 full cord of oak in the last 3 years with one saw a 346xp. ...Then today he brings this saw into work along with a couple of 12-14" logs, it cut those logs in 3-4 seconds.

A stihl dealer w/ no saws in stock is a waste of time. Find a different stihl dealer or go w/ Husky.

I wouldn't want firewood from 12" logs that can be cut w/ a 346 in 3 sec, or 14" in 4 sec... unless that 346 is piped...

Count me as another nod for displacement starting at Husky 359 or a Stihl 361 from a good dealer.

Chaser

Well I just picked up a 359 this season.. lost my old 51 husky.. and my stihl 036 was not running right..

I have only cut and split maybe 35 cords this season.. but I get some bear size wood... depending on the size of the wood.. 24" to 34" or so .. the 359 is too small with a 20" bar.. for the smaller stuff its good... Don't get me wrong.. the 359 is a good saw.. keeps up with most.. but I think I push the limits of the saw.. an example.. had to cut some of the firewood.. 4 cuts took a full tank of gas with the size wood I am working with.. that is why its time already to look bigger..

I may be looking at a 395 to handle some of the bigger wood..

your right. .there is not substitute for displacement..

Pete

If you're going to be doing any quantity of firewood cutting, skip the 260 and 290 and go straight to the 361, at least. Life is short and having to stand around waiting for your saw to finish up with a cut is a waste of time.

I owned a 290 for years and recently sold it to my father-in-law, whose cutting needs are less frequent than mine. It was and is a fine saw, perfectly capable of cutting 20" hardwood all day long. For $340, it is a good value. But, as suggested, it is heavier than it needs to be and if you're going to be cutting any quantity of wood over any significant period of time, the extra weight will become an issue. The same applies to the Husqvarna 455, as well - they're great for the occasional user, but someone who cuts regularly will appreciate a pro-grade saw.

290_455.jpg

Though I don't have much time on a Husqvarna 359, I did use one a bit and I wasn't particularly impressed. It didn't feel like any more saw than my 290. I'm not sure how much more saw a 357 would be, and for the price I think I'd pass regardless.

The Dolmar products you should be looking at include the 5100s and the 6400-7900 series. The 540 and 510 are not enough saw to pull 20" with the kind of ease you are going to be pleased with, so don't even bother looking at them.

Also, the prices for the Dolmar saws you were quoted seem high. A 6400 should be closer to $475. If you figure that all your cutting can be handled with a 20" setup, a 5100s would be the best choice - it is very light, well balanced, and you should be able to get one for about $375. It is a heck of a nice little saw that can competently handle a 20" bar with .325 chain in hardwood. The 6400 is a very good saw, but falls victim to its weight - it weighs the same as a 7900 ($600 or so) but is 15cc down on displacement. That said, if you can get one at a good price it pretty much runs neck-and-neck with the 7900 in wood under 20".

You may also want to check around for a used 6400 in Makita clothes. HomeDepot liquidates their rental saws fairly regularly and they can be had for a very good price. The obvious disadvantage is that they're used, which can end up being a non-issue or a complete mess. Plus, there's no guarantee that your local HomeDepot will be liquidating one when you are in a buying mood, either.

I bought this saw from my local HomeDepot for a friend. Saw, a couple loops, and the bar: about $275.

resized_HD_6401_Makita_02a.jpg

And the 365 Husqvarnas that Baileys is selling for $499 are also worth looking at, as Steve suggested. Not a bad price for a powerful saw with a proven design. And there are Husqvarna dealers everywhere, online and brick-and-mortar, so parts should never be an issue. This saw may be your best choice for a serious saw.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you find yourself a dealer who actually stocks the product he sells if you intend to buy from a brick-and-mortar retailer. In my experience, the guys who don't stock saws also don't stock parts and tend not to know anything about the saws they sell, either. Given the choice between working with this sort of person and buying online and handling the parts and service yourself, I'd pick online every time.

computeruser said:
And the 365 Husqvarnas that Baileys is selling for $499 are also worth looking at, as Steve suggested. Not a bad price for a powerful saw with a proven design. And there are Husqvarna dealers everywhere, online and brick-and-mortar, so parts should never be an issue. This saw may be your best choice for a serious saw.

...I own both the Husky 365 and the Stihl MS 361, and both are powerful 60cc saws with plenty of power that are built to run all day long for you. You can't go wrong with either.

firewood saw

I just picked up a 359.Brand spanking new of ebay for $300.00.It ran really hot with that cat muffler.Did a mod on the muffler and the thing screams!I have a 362xp comeing this week.Brand new model 4.6 hp.Speaking of hp after the muffler mod you are pushing about 4.5 hp
Ed

i I've been cutting wood for sale since about 1982. The best all round saw I used was 1 of 2 saws I purchased new.For a little over $400 a stihl 034 super lasted me about 12 troublefree years doing about 90+% of my cutting.Husky came to town and wanting something with a little less vibes and better air cleaner I bought Husky 55. I was offered an 066 mag soon after for cheap and bought it so I sold the 034 for $150 to a freind( in very good running condition). The 55 didn't do what I expected. It was to weak and unreliable,and broke to easy.I was tickled to get $150 back out of it after 2 years of fighting to keep it working.My main arsenal now is an o26 pro for limbing and softer and smaller wood and I became a fan of the big 66. The big saw makes a much smaller job of the big stuff. I just bought an used 044 to fill the gap inbetween. If I were in your position I would put most of my saw investment in a 60 + cc saw new or gently used, considering dealer support likewise. Bigger better saws usually last considerably longer and hold resale value well. Unless you cut only little stuff they will get the job done considerably faster too. From what I hear you have a lot of dead ash in MI.:chainsaw:

dead ash, especially in Monroe Co., you can't move it out of the county.
No problem, I plant 200 ash trees, along with 200 maples and 400 poplars, when I bought this house and land in '98, ringed the property twice. Then a couple years back my youngest boy comes home from school and talking about the emeral ash borer, and how to check trees for them. So we go check them out, inconclusive at best. So we took them down anyway, they were only 6'- 9' tall, had a big bon fire that week.

Yesterday I called the stihl dealer in Monroe, and he was open. I had a short day at work so I went to his store. I didn't have a ms361 in stock but , has about all other stihl saws. I told him about my poulan 295, he couldn't believe I've run this saw for 6 years, he wants to see it. I get my parts tomorrow, if they are in. We did talk about the ms260, ms290, ms390, ms361. He has the 260, 290 and 390 in stock. Then he told me to come back Saturday and I can take a ms290 or ms390 home for a couple of hours as he rents these saws in his rental yard. He gave me his buisness card with his cell on it, told me to call at a decent hour and he will meet me at the store.

we will see what happens Sat.

The 290 would be a small step up from your Poulan.The 390 would give you considerably more power. I would go 361, the same power, much lighter, better built,should last longer, and you should last longer. It will probably have a higher resale value if you trade up in the distant future. If money is an issue I would look for a gently used saw like an 036 or044 stihl. I just bought my second saw this week,an034 for $125. Seems to be deals there right now.
The new 310 is another option to go with a budget deal if that is what you need.I think its about $150 less then a 390. If you like the 390 mabe you can get a deal on the demo your dealer has. However, if you can afford the investment I'd go 361. Whatever you buy I hope it does you well.

Latest posts

Back