Good enough $150 saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bimop

Reaction score
Okay, I'm junking the Craftsman with oiler problems. Now I need a new saw. My budget is about $150 and here is what's available near me. It is easy to compare the features on the box, but I'd really like to know from the forum what makes any of these better or worse (e.g., the Craftsman box didn't say their oilers are junk).

Troy-Built 18" 42cc 12lb., w/ case, 2 yr. war, $170
Homelite Timberman 18" 45cc 11.5 lb., w/ case, 2 yr war, $180
Poulan 18" 40cc ?lb., no case, ? yr war, $150
MacCat 16in 38cc w/case, elect ignition, **21.3 lb** $140
Poulan Pro 18", 42cc, ?lb., ?case, ? war, $150
Stihl 170 14", 30cc, 8.6 lb, no case, ? war, $160

Do the new Poulan and Poulan Pros suffer the same oiler problems of the older Craftsman? Is the extra 10 lbs. of the MacCat just for electronic ignition? Is there a saw I missed in this range that I should look at?

Thanks,
Jeff

I dont know what your planning to cut but Id go see what my local dealers had to offer used. Sometimes you can get a used good one that will outlast all youve listed and cheaper to buy.

If the MS170 has enough power for your intended use, I think that is the way to go. Even if the quality shouldn't be much better than the others, you will at least have access to decent dealer support.
It's power output is quite low though......

Otherways your best bet is probably Poulan.....

my advice go on ebay an find a good used 028 stihl. very durable . good saw.
better yet see if your dealer has one he will vouch for. if you get a good one . it ll be better than the saws u mentioned ,in my opinion.

If you can find one, an 028 Super, or an older 024, or 026 would be a great setup for just about anything a non pro user could toss at it. I would sell you one of my saws, but I need em for work.

I'll second the Ebay suggestion. I picked up an Olympyk 951 demo some time back for $150. What a great saw it turned out to be. I also picked up an old Olympyk 355 for $50. It is a good firewood saw, too big for what you have in mind, but the deals are there if you are careful.

Buy used

I'm with the guys who say buy used. I've picked up several saws on ebay and haven't been burned yet. Another good place to look might be a local flea market. I go to one every Thursday and there's usually a fair number of saws of different size and quality to be had. Plus you get to check it out in person, and most sellers are usually very good with negotiating a resonable price. Good Luck!

You can get a poulan 4218 for $149 at lowes. If you are looking for a saw for homeowner use. Has a 2 year warranty. That 42cc 18" bar. I have bought off ebay used. Stated runs excellent, no scoring. Well I have been burned there. Then had to learn to do a top end rebuild. If you dont work on your own stuff, the 2 year warranty is nice too. lowes has a local dealer that does the work for them.

Jeff,

There are some great used saw dealers on the site here. I picked up a redone used saw, and it is in great shape and well worth the cost. Total shipped with new bar, chain, tuned up, new parts was half of buying a new saw.

Good luck,

Erik

Bimop said:
................MacCat 16in 38cc w/case, elect ignition, **21.3 lb** $140.........................Is the extra 10 lbs. of the MacCat just for electronic ignition? ........................
Thanks,
Jeff

I highly doubt the saw weighs 21lbs.

Bill

So do I, but I have no idea what a MacCat is....

Maybe 21 lbs is shipping weight with case etc, but it still seems high.......

another vote for a used stihl 026, you can find them for under $150 if you have the time to look. I found an 026 in excellent condition for $125.

I don't about the pawn shops near you but the ones I have dealt with give a 30 day warranty.The other day I saw a 029 for 165.00 and looked to be in good shape.And could have gotten it for 135.00 you have to remember I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box.So I would look at pawn shops and flea markets just make sure they will give you a warranty.

Back