Got 'er Done! Finsished Truck Paint and Graphics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbor pro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been working on my 'new' chip truck's modifications, paint and graphics and she's all done finally! Here are some before/after photos and a cost breakdown of what I have invested in case anyone's interested...

Truck purchase price w/shipping $4800
Misc Mechanical Work $ 800
Welding shop modifications $3500
Dual 60" Buyer Toolboxes $ 800
Paint job $3400
Vinyl Graphics (I installed them) $ 700
Stainless Wheel Simulators $ 500

Total Investment: $14,500

I'm pretty happy with the final results. Spent a bit more $ than originally planned but I think it was worth it. Truck turns lots of heads which is what I was hoping for.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Beautifully done! That truck should turn some heads for sure.

B B B Bad to the B B Bone! The hubcaps are nice, nice and gay that is:biggrinbounce2:
Can you take the deck off of the front? Good slogan too, sounds solid. Woowee does it look fum putting the loader on!

If I may ask ? How does it stop with that setup , I had the exact same machine and truck with the prisoner cab , and when the truck was loaded more than half way I couldn't stop it , to the point it was dangerous ....

Nice work! :clap:

Hard to believe it's the same truck that was in the before photo. Hope it runs as good as it looks.

B B B Bad to the B B Bone! The hubcaps are nice, nice and gay that is:biggrinbounce2:
Can you take the deck off of the front? Good slogan too, sounds solid. Woowee does it look fum putting the loader on!

Front deck just slips into a 2" hitch receiver and can be pulled off. I actually had it built several years ago as a 4-wheeler and snowblower carrier for the back of my SUV and it's been sitting in the weeds the last few years. Found a new use for it! there are stabilizers on each side of the receiver to keep the rack from rocking side to side. they are also removable.

Hey, I like my hubcaps! told my groundie that he's gonna die when he scratches my new baby. He pulled out a key and told me he was just gonna get it the inevitable over with right away...:laugh:

Mini skid loads great. I was a bit nervous the first time but it really worked slick. Ramps don't bow at all and the breakover point (when tracks go from an angle to horizontal) was pretty smooth too. Unloading was also very smooth. If you feather the controls, you can get that thing to break over in slow motion.

Last edited:
If I may ask ? How does it stop with that setup , I had the exact same machine and truck with the prisoner cab , and when the truck was loaded more than half way I couldn't stop it , to the point it was dangerous ....

Brakes seem good on it but she's still virgin since the restoration. Getting a couple mechanical things done this week and will give her a christening on friday with 3 big takedowns.

I'll heed your warning and take those first few stops easy to see how she does when fully loaded. I do have brakes on the chipper so that should help.

Thanks to everyone for all the compliments. It's been an exciting past month with two new babies in the family - this one and the one that poops a lot (but is the cuter of the two)... ; )

Last edited:
Brakes seem good on it but she's still virgin since the restoration. Getting a couple mechanical things done this week and will give her a christening on friday with 3 big takedowns.

I'll heed your warning and take those first few stops easy to see how she does when fully loaded. I do have brakes on the chipper so that should help.

Thanks to everyone for all the compliments. It's been an exciting past month with two new babies in the family - this one and the one that poops a lot (but is the cuter of the two)... ; )

Have your groundee throw this out at red lights!

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/MP81112805.htm?bct=;ciboat-anchors

Looks really good. Did they have to do much body work on the chip box? Looked like the taco box was rusted out?

If the brakes done seem to be up to par, there is an upgraded caliper assembly for those that could stop a house, six piston if memory serves me correctly.

Looks really good. Did they have to do much body work on the chip box? Looked like the taco box was rusted out?

taco box...I had to think about that one for a bit. It was it pretty rough shape. Might make a good deer blind someday. A bit of camo paint and some bigger windows and it'll be a warm place for my kids to hide out.

No real serious rust - peeling and bubbled paint but a good sandblasting prepped the metal quite well.

My painter regretted not having sandblasted the entire chip box - particularly where the old Asplundh logos were. He thought he could just use a solvent or sand it off. Two days of cursing those letters and he figured he could have had them off in 30 minutes had he blasted them off.

Live and learn...good thing we agreed to a price up front. I made sure he understood that I couldn't afford to go over an agreed price and he swore that it wouldn't no matter what. He kept his word even though it took him longer than expected. He'll get more work from me because of it.

He primed all of the new and sandblasted metal then gave it 3 coats of paint plus a clear coat. Had a little problem with controlling overspray so some areas got more than 3 coats of paint before he was done. He even airbrushed the front grill and light surrounds as well as the gmc emblems.

Nice looking truck, the lettering really catches the eye. Keep it looking good and you should have no problem's getting customers. I have heard of a few tree companies around here that are not doing so well. They are good at what they do but there equipment has not been kept up, not as eye appealing. Looks do make a difference.

Beefie

Back