Got Mud ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Yankee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I do.

After the warm weather and close to 2 inches of rain over the past few days, everything is shut down. Walked in to the landing and burned a tank on the pile of treelength this morning. By the time I was done my boots must have weighed at least a pound more each. Not to mention having to break the suction every time you want to move provided quite the workout.

Looks like if I want to get the tractor and splitter in there the ruts, if I can get through, are gonna be at least a foot deep. Pretty sure the State has stopped all operations on its land, and anyone harvesting private land with a big surety deposit hanging out there isn't moving either.

Take Care

I parked the truck on the grass with a full load of Maple a couple weeks back on frozen ground. Didn't have time to unload, just did it last weekend.... left a nice rut in my lawn. After that the tractor stayed under cover, and I broke out the wheelbarrow.:( Even that left ruts. :mad:

I prefer the cold frozen tundra over this crap any day.

That's my reality every winter. I have the time and motivation, but the access sucks. To me, foot deep is just baby mud.

Heck, I still have proly going on two cords mostly already bucked, some nice red oak, sitting down on the edge of a pond in a swamp area.

The same deal here. Haven't been any cutting over the past week, just to muddy. Had to haul cow manure onto the field and about got stuck. It looks like the ground is going to be frozen for a few days.

I can't stand it when it is like this. I wish it would freeze as soon as winter started and never thaw out. Now whenever it freezes solid, it is real rough driving over the ruts.

Crispy here this AM will probably sneek back with the Volunteer and get a bit of Ash.

Yup, been much the same here. Seems like all it's done lately is rain. I've got prob'ly 4 cord of rounds in the woods, been laying there over a month. It's too mucky to get 'em out.

Can get the tractor in with no issues. But soon as I try to pull a load, the wheels turn and she starts digging a hole. It's gonna have to wait 'til the ground dries.

We did some brush hogging, clearing last week, very productive with ground frozen.

So productive in fact we sold a few more small clearing jobs without snow in the forecast.

The ground is just saturated, sloppy mess.

Temps do not seem to be heading down by much for at least the next week, 38-48 degrees day time highs.

Check back with me in early April. I've got a foot and a half of snow on the ground and guessing 3-4 feet of frost under that.

Make sure you catch me on the right day, though. I have really sandy ground and my mud season is less than a week normally.

It's usually way more fun to blast through a big drift than it is to slog through a mud hole, and not quite so many parts get broken.

My yard has laying water in it .. Melt a foot of snow in one day them pouring rains the next Day turns a mans property into a slop hole .. Snow is nice it covers up the mud and any random debris in the yard kinda makes things look clean and tidy

My yard has laying water in it .. Melt a foot of snow in one day them pouring rains the next Day turns a mans property into a slop hole .. Snow is nice it covers up the mud and any random debris in the yard kinda makes things look clean and tidy
LOL - things sure don't look their best in the yard this time of year!

Even with 3 ice storms and several inches of rain we still have a 2 foot snow pack left. No mud - great in the woods.

Check back with me in early April. I've got a foot and a half of snow on the ground and guessing 3-4 feet of frost under that.

Make sure you catch me on the right day, though. I have really sandy ground and my mud season is less than a week normally.

It's usually way more fun to blast through a big drift than it is to slog through a mud hole, and not quite so many parts get broken.

Mud is big fun..just not to work in....

After the flood last summer scoured all the vegetation and gravel, then a foot of snow, followed by 45 to 50 degree high temps we got mud.

Heck the ground has never really dried out once since September.

We had mud over the weekend left some big ruts in the yard. Gonna try to cut a couple loads tomorrow temps around freezing today and tomorrow . I should be able to get in the woods hopefully !

Ground was just froze enough to get a load with the Volunteer. Even got a bonus mother nature blew down another ash for me.

Back