Got the chicks, now for the coop...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great and i do like the log roost, the only thing i would mention is that everything Ive read on the subject suggest the roost being narrow, like a 2x4 up on the side so they can wrap there feet around it while roosting, i even took mine and snaded down the edges to help them grab. Yesterday I was clipping wing and was in the coop and just out of intrest ran my hand over the roost and sure nough it is baby smooth. I am not saying nor suggesting yours wont work ,just passing info on

Looks great and i do like the log roost, the only thing i would mention is that everything Ive read on the subject suggest the roost being narrow, like a 2x4 up on the side so they can wrap there feet around it while roosting, i even took mine and snaded down the edges to help them grab. Yesterday I was clipping wing and was in the coop and just out of intrest ran my hand over the roost and sure nough it is baby smooth. I am not saying nor suggesting yours wont work ,just passing info on

We did that with ours at first, I used a bunch of Red Elm Branches so they could get their claws around it, but in the cold winter months we had a few loose there toes becasue of frost bite, so I put up a slab of wood that they can lay their bodies down and cover their toes up to protect them from that. We didn't have any loose there toes to frost bite this winter, just some combs and waddles:chainsaw:

We did that with ours at first, I used a bunch of Red Elm Branches so they could get their claws around it, but in the cold winter months we had a few loose there toes becasue of frost bite, so I put up a slab of wood that they can lay their bodies down and cover their toes up to protect them from that. We didn't have any loose there toes to frost bite this winter, just some combs and waddles:chainsaw:

Good Idea, we have some cold weather here in ohio and all though we have had some frostbitten combs , we haven't lost any toes yet lol. Our roost is 6ft high ,and the really huddle together at night. Im going to pay closer attention to there toes and if they actually sit down on them like I assumed they do.
Good point

the only thing i would mention is that everything Ive read on the subject suggest the roost being narrow...

Like gink said, if the roosts are too narrow they'll loose toes to frostbite. Chicken feet are actually more comfortable flat unlike many other birds. If they're curved on a narrow roost, they're feathers can't cover them to insulate ;)

Those look like they will be the best kept chickens around. They are spoiled compared to my neighbors chickens. Nice job on all your work and the fact that your even raising chickens. :cheers:

Like gink said, if the roosts are too narrow they'll loose toes to frostbite. Chicken feet are actually more comfortable flat unlike many other birds. If they're curved on a narrow roost, they're feathers can't cover them to insulate ;)

I understand your point. Ive had chickens for years and I read tons on the subject before buying them. If you go to any poultry website/forum like backyard chicken or poultry one.com, they explain that bird in nature roost on limbs and telephone wires and thats because its a round aera to hold on to and the feet and bodies are made to do just that. If you pay attention to the birds out in the woods the only ones who sleep on flat spaces are thoes with out the ability to roost..like ducks and geese. Here in Ohio maybe its not cold enough to loose toes, we still get some harsh weather though. Id be willing to say that if you took thoes chicks and put a 2x6 and a 2" round stick/limb you will find them after dark on the limb. Of course the chicks wont roost full time till there around 7-9 weeks, most of the time lol

Something else to remember is to shut them up in the new coop for a few days so they reconize it as there home and then return there to sleep, if not you will have to herd them in at night ,and you can imagine how much fun that is lol

BTW Nuzzy what kinda birds you get?
Buy the looks of them Id say some are Barred rocks and maybe a silverlaced Wyandotte?

BTW Nuzzy what kinda birds you get?
Buy the looks of them Id say some are Barred rocks and maybe a silverlaced Wyandotte?

3 Black Australorps, 2 Light Brahmas, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Silverlaced Wyandottes, 4 EEs, and 2 bantams of unknown breed (though one I've been told is a Silver Duckwinged OEGB).

And we just picked up 6 guineas :D:D:D

It ws the EE or ameracana I was confusing for the barred rocks..there hard to judge sometimes. Just to warn ya, thos multi colored egg layers are fiesty and real good flyers. We chase ours back over a 6 ft fence everday and thats with there wings clipped.

Latest posts

Back