Gps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edit

Pile it:

I removed the part about the 60 CSx not having a memory card in the above evaluation as it appears to be in conflict with your experience.

my 60 CS performs quite well, if I can get decent reception. poor signals sometimes in remote areas.

garmin engineers claim Nuvi models (except 200 & 600) have chips equal in performance to 60 CSX's.

another advantage of Nuvi is pre-loaded mapset of entire US. had to purchase mapset separately for my 60 CS.

it's $60 for map updates ... no matter which way you go. GPS info comes from US funded GPS satellites. have always burned my hide.... this info costs so much, when Garmin gets it for free.

As long as I have a clear view of the sky I have satellites.

my 60 CS performs quite well, if I can get decent reception. poor signals sometimes in remote areas.

garmin engineers claim Nuvi models (except 200 & 600) have chips equal in performance to 60 CSX's.

another advantage of Nuvi is pre-loaded mapset of entire US. had to purchase mapset separately for my 60 CS.

it's $60 for map updates ... no matter which way you go. GPS info comes from US funded GPS satellites. have always burned my hide.... this info costs so much, when Garmin gets it for free.

Ehhhhhh I had one of those nuvi pos I bought
it because I was pulling a 53' trailer to Maine
the sob kept telling me to turn in stupid places
for truck trailer combos and put me in a dead end
having to back into someones yard to turn around!
Then it tried to route us through the friggin bronx
so we had to go town to town to make it do what
wanted it was a pain so I gave it back. I had never
been to the NE and wanted to know lane changes
before I got to them so I did not have to get over
in traffic. It did do that one town to the next but
I always had to second guess it's motives and
kept wondering why the heck it was trying to
take me a :censored: route in truck and bus mode.
If I were in my car I would have went the Jersey
turnpike to see the big mess but really I am never
impressed with large cities just too many personalities
with way too much agendas.

which model Nuvi did you have the bad experience with?
did it have voice instruction with street names?

common misconception about using GPS .... one really needs to know route before starting trip.... GPS are dumb... you need to pick the best route... then use GPS for finer details like picking your way through multiple lane changes in an unfamiliar city.

of finding your way out of a rat maze, back to a major road.
at least that's way I've been using GPS....

Ehhhhhh I had one of those nuvi pos I bought
it because I was pulling a 53' trailer to Maine
the sob kept telling me to turn in stupid places
for truck trailer combos and put me in a dead end
having to back into someones yard to turn around!
Then it tried to route us through the friggin bronx
so we had to go town to town to make it do what
wanted it was a pain so I gave it back. I had never
been to the NE and wanted to know lane changes
before I got to them so I did not have to get over
in traffic. It did do that one town to the next but
I always had to second guess it's motives and
kept wondering why the heck it was trying to
take me a :censored: route in truck and bus mode.

Last edited:
Sorry, I need a clear view of the sky to get full satellite info. If I turn on my GPS in the woods it might take 15 minutes to get a useful 3 satellite signal.

Hey Rope, it's called a map. Use it, you will be surprised how easy it is.

got the exact same problem on my 60 CS...
itching to upgrade to newer model with sensitive chipset to hopefully solve those problems.

but have been buying too much toys.... in the last two weeks...two protimeters, a bullpup rifle and now looking at a AR-15 Hbar ... arggghhhh..

Sorry, I need a clear view of the sky to get full satellite info. If I turn on my GPS in the woods it might take 15 minutes to get a useful 3 satellite signal.

Free

"it's $60 for map updates ... no matter which way you go. GPS info comes from US funded GPS satellites. have always burned my hide.... this info costs so much, when Garmin gets it for free."

Does Garmin gets the Satellite signal for free?

Actually we do.

Clinton signed into law where the military descrambled the signals for greater accuracy to non military.

==============

We all are certainly welcome to make our own GPS unit and maps for it.
That is what we pay Garmin for.

In the future there should be also European and Russian Satellite systems to work from.
Eventually there will be handheld units that utilize everyones satellites and that will help with coverage.

(The Euros and Russkis couldn't stand that the American military controlled the GPS world so they have ponied up the cash to get into the game.)

Latest posts

Back