Grabbed a "good deal" at Sears

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was poking around Sears last night and stumbled upon a 46cc/20" craftsman floor model (never used-no case) for $160. I told the sales associate that I'd take it right now for $130 and they went for it. I know there generally regarded as junk at AS but I've heard the spectrum of stories from did'nt work out of the box to people cutting cords and cords of wood with no trouble. A couple things that attracted me to the saw: It has a small real bumper spike, normal chain adjustment (not intenz) and a .325 chain and H/L screws. Anyways, I ran two tanks thru it today and (almost to my surprise) no problems - started cold, started hot, idled normal, smooth power. I am sure these things are set lean, should I let well enough alone or try to open muffler (catalyc-I think) and readjust mixture? The screws are pointed at the top with a micro spline on them. Is there a tool to adjust this type of screw? There does'nt seem to be limiters on the screws - just anti fiddle design.

They ARE anti fiddling designed screws, BUT, with a dremel, and a little care, you can easily make them slotted.

From the factory, I'm willing to bet you're right, they probably are lean, and could CERTAINLY benefit from a muffler mod. almost ALL modern saws can gain from that.

I havent tried to mod the carb screws on these newer style saws myself, but I think with a cutoff wheel, the dremel, and a little caution, you can make them slotted screws easily as I said.

Personally, I'd leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...sorta thing! But that's me. I know many prefer to mod things and what not. Whatever gets your goat, I guess. But if it works to your satisfaction, why mess with it? For $130, doesn't sound like too bad a deal to me. Last I heard, the Sears/CMs were made by Poulan, and I'm one that's had very good experience with Poulan products. I have done fine with stock setups and as long as they work, won't mess with that. But, again, that's just me. You asked for opinions....that's mine! :)

Lawn Masters said:
They ARE anti fiddling designed screws, BUT, with a dremel, and a little care, you can easily make them slotted.

From the factory, I'm willing to bet you're right, they probably are lean, and could CERTAINLY benefit from a muffler mod. almost ALL modern saws can gain from that.

I havent tried to mod the carb screws on these newer style saws myself, but I think with a cutoff wheel, the dremel, and a little caution, you can make them slotted screws easily as I said.
I've done a hedge trimmer with a dremmel like you said and it can be done but be carefull! The dremmel wants to jump off the screw and can cut into plastic or, in my case, my arm. (I have to sit them in my lap, I just don't use my work bench on smaller stuff), but you are right, it works!

EPages said:
Personally, I'd leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...sorta thing! But that's me. I know many prefer to mod things and what not. Whatever gets your goat, I guess. But if it works to your satisfaction, why mess with it? For $130, doesn't sound like too bad a deal to me. Last I heard, the Sears/CMs were made by Poulan, and I'm one that's had very good experience with Poulan products. I have done fine with stock setups and as long as they work, won't mess with that. But, again, that's just me. You asked for opinions....that's mine! :)
The only problem with leaving well enough alone could burn your new saw up. They are just to to lean from the factory. I just picked up a 220 with the limter caps on with factory 1/2 turn. Thing ran so high in the RPM range I was afraid she was going to cook herself. I ended up pulling the caps and going between 1 1/8-1 1/4 turn on the H side to get 4 stroking then backed off just a tad. Took a screwdriver to the to slots in the back and pryed them open about 4 times their size, tossed the baffle and screen.

Chris J. said:
Despite my brain screaming 'Don't ask!,' what is a red butt connector? If it's an interesting sex toy, please post a photo.

A crimping device used to joing two pieces of wire together...Different colors tend to be different sizes...

Latest posts

Back