Greasing the Bucket Truck boom

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustaHatRack

Social Distancing by living 5 roads off asphalt
Reaction score
Just bought a bucket truck. My first. The manuals/books on the truck (1990 F450 Superduty and the Knapheide body) were in the glove box but no manuals at all on the boom. On the side of the boom (Waldon uec 38 ft JG43-20D??? built in 1989 ) it say to use [Molylube DX 649 or equivalent]. Google can’t find that lube and shouldn’t the spindle gears and the knuckles us 2 different types of lube/grease? Any idea of where to get an operators manual just on the boom? Thanks ! P.S. I posted this in the 101 page for newbies first. Am I going to ARB jail?

Can't help you on the manual. But, for the boom extensions I would suggest a graphite dry lube. It comes in spray bombs or gallon cans you can brush on. The product I use is called Slip Plate. TSC used to carry it but any industrial supplier would have it. It goes on wet and dries to a film so as not to attract dirt, sawdust, or contaminants. Grease is something only for pivot points through zerk fittings. Be careful and wear your safety restraints while in the bucket bud!!

Can't help you on the manual. But, for the boom extensions I would suggest a graphite dry lube. It comes in spray bombs or gallon cans you can brush on. The product I use is called Slip Plate. TSC used to carry it but any industrial supplier would have it. It goes on wet and dries to a film so as not to attract dirt, sawdust, or contaminants. Grease is something only for pivot points through zerk fittings. Be careful and wear your safety restraints while in the bucket bud!!
Thanks. The man I got it from said the same thing about being careful in the bucket plus an old tree trimmer friend said the same thing when I said i was going to try and find me one to keep me off the ladders when trimming my orchard. In fact he is giving me his old harness. He also said to never go up without someone on the ground but that is not an option so I will just have to find ways to get down if the engine stalls plus not fall out of the bucket. I did notice a mans center of gravity, especially if using a chainsaw would be higher than the swivel on the bucket making you top heavy. May need to eat more ice cream and carry more change in my pockets. Again thanks.

Yes thanks. I was also thinking about maybe having an emergency bleeder valve installed with a fluid catch bag at the bucket to lower the bucket if all else failed. Just a thought.

Thanks. The man I got it from said the same thing about being careful in the bucket plus an old tree trimmer friend said the same thing when I said i was going to try and find me one to keep me off the ladders when trimming my orchard. In fact he is giving me his old harness. He also said to never go up without someone on the ground but that is not an option so I will just have to find ways to get down if the engine stalls plus not fall out of the bucket. I did notice a mans center of gravity, especially if using a chainsaw would be higher than the swivel on the bucket making you top heavy. May need to eat more ice cream and carry more change in my pockets. Again thanks.
Thats why you tie in with a safety harness.If you dont have a man on the ground at least have a cell phone.

Thats why you tie in with a safety harness.If you dont have a man on the ground at least have a cell phone.
I just watched a video of a demo evacuation from a bucket using a repelling pope and a mechanical locking carabiner that lowers you when you squeeze it. $98 from EVAC w/50' rope [EDIT] to add clarity......I hope. :)

Questions questions questions I'm like a kid with a new toy. Come to think about it....I am. [Discovery] Took off the cowlings surounding the base of the spindle today to check it out plus my spray tacky glue gets here tomorrow so wanted to be ready, and found two large batteries under there. They are 20" x 11" each, the type you see on 18 wheelers. One was disconnected but seems to be taking a charge. [Question] Does that mean the boom/hydraulic pump works on electricity instead of the engine? If so, then if the engine stalls the bucket will still work and let me down as long as those 2 huge batteries have a charge? Thanks

Wide open question for sure. Pictures would help a bunch.
Possibly DC motor driven hyd pump-probably
PTO driven hyd pump-maybe??
Mechanically//Manual valves on control valve stacks in case of power loss-maybe??
Is this a folding boom truck or hydraulic extension type boom??
Control stations of bucket and ground//base area modes of operations and controls.
Pictures of above mentioned areas on your truck will be enough to help get you into trouble. Thx. Tim G.

The lady I talked to in the parts department of the company, that bought the company, that bought the company who made it said when she had the time she would look in the archives to try and find the operators manual then send it to my email address.

Ok, How did you lower the outriggers?? As that circuit maybe sperate from the boom/bucket functions.
Following what the work truck dealer I bought it from did, 1. Start the engine 2. pull out the PTO knob on the right side under the steering wheel, (there is one on the left side also but the dealer I bought it from had no clue what it did) 3. push in the clutch then let it out, 4. go around back and pull on the left outrigger lever, 5. Go push in the clutch and let it back out again to activate the right side, 6. go pull the right side lever out. Same steps to lift the outriggers up. Took a while to figure out the second clutching to change sides. I have not worked the boom yet, (want to learn more before I do more? but I have watched lots of videos.) That video is from the dealer but he said he just used the platform levers to make the vid. Tried to grease the joints yesterday but they wouldn't take any grease so I just made some outrigger pads. (18x18 double layer 3/4 CDX) *Thanks for your reply*

Back