Greasing The Wheels Pays Off!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupte

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
scored some logs last year from a local tree guy. he came in with a grapple semi full of logs so, of course I thanked him gave him a few bucks, slightly more than it would have cost me to scrounge it. but I saved time, wear and tear on my truck, trailer, my back, etc. so it was money well spent. this year he calls me again. offers some more, "of course!" I replied.. (knowing I have almost 6 years worth of wood, and I don't need anymore) most important thing I learned is DO NOT COMPLAIN!!!! tree guys just want to dump it somewhere close. that's convenient for them. they aren't gonna mess with ppl who say, "its too big, too rotten, to soft, too much metal in the wood, etc" this load in the pics was alot of cottonwood, but the next load could be hedge. so as long as I keep the wheels greased, I think I'll be in good shape. :) there was one log that was silver maple and one log of hackberry.
DSCN0693_zpsrdm7umwo.jpg
DSCN0694_zpslnqebd3h.jpg
DSCN0695_zpsjkr5ok1i.jpg
DSCN0696_zpstslgkevv.jpg

Why logic does the tree guy have for giving wood away?
I think it varies bug the area. In our area of you want wood from a tree service you can call them up and give them your address when they are close they will gladly dump it for you. Only catch is you get it all be it soft wood or not and you get all the brush too.

scored some logs last year from a local tree guy. he came in with a grapple semi full of logs so, of course I thanked him gave him a few bucks, slightly more than it would have cost me to scrounge it. but I saved time, wear and tear on my truck, trailer, my back, etc. so it was money well spent. this year he calls me again. offers some more, "of course!" I replied.. (knowing I have almost 6 years worth of wood, and I don't need anymore) most important thing I learned is DO NOT COMPLAIN!!!! tree guys just want to dump it somewhere close. that's convenient for them. they aren't gonna mess with ppl who say, "its too big, too rotten, to soft, too much metal in the wood, etc" this load in the pics was alot of cottonwood, but the next load could be hedge. so as long as I keep the wheels greased, I think I'll be in good shape. :) there was one log that was silver maple and one log of hackberry.
DSCN0693_zpsrdm7umwo.jpg
DSCN0694_zpslnqebd3h.jpg
DSCN0695_zpsjkr5ok1i.jpg
DSCN0696_zpstslgkevv.jpg
like said,, campfire wood, or early fall, and late spring use,, when don't need the long burn times,, and high heat volumne.........

like said,, campfire wood, or early fall, and late spring use,, when don't need the long burn times,, and high heat volumne.........

call me crazy but I like to mix hard and soft wood in the owb. if I burn all hedge i end up with a foot thick of coals. then the coals on the bottom never get any air, hence they never burn. even on the coldest days I like to throw in 5-6 pieces of hard stuff. and then pack it full of cottonwood or Siberian elm. and I get a more consistent burn and heat with a nice bed of coals left over.

Why logic does the tree guy have for giving wood away?
well if they are cutting 30 miles from their yard and they bid the job to haul all the logs back to their yard. then I live 5 miles away from the job. and they can dump all the logs here for free. they saved money on trucking. plus I always give them a few bucks, to keep them coming back. ;-)

it also depends on your location, likely no one gives away wood in Alaska. but in other places its a different story.

also most tree guys around here have so much wood and mulch already that any chance they have to get rid of some logs is a blessing to them. also most ppl cant process such large logs or they complain if its not oak.

You can always have a "bring the weiners I'll supply the buns" bonfire GTG. Just make sure you light the pile of cottonwood 2-3 days ahead of time so the fire has time to cool down. I don't want to roast my lower extremities making that nice crispy on the outside and hot on the inside frank. :yes:

My county public works has the wood dump for the area. In the spring it costs them around 150 to dump. Come fall when the yard is setting up for winter it costs over 300. If they can dump it for free they definitely will.

Huh, interesting.

Around here if you have a deck of logs in public view it's most likely going to be stolen. Last year we had about 15 cords stolen in roughly 24 hrs off a land clearing job near the local Walmart. "Well... it was just sitting there"
Yeah, on private property with no trepassing signs!

If i advertised free logs, I'd probably lead to idiots dueling with $99 Wild Thangs or a gun fight.

We have city dumps in most of our little towns, but if hauling to me is closer than the dump, I get wood. Less miles, less diesel, less time, more $$$$.

My tree service buddy calls me if they have some good firewood logs or some that are good enough for sawmill. If I had more time, could get more wood than I know what to do with. If I bring a trailer and they would load.

We are workin out a some side jobs with my skidloader and his trailer after work to pick up logs he leaves instead of hauling away with his business. Will see how it goes. It getting dark early now and bow season just started........sooooo

Latest posts

Back