Green Teeth Worth the investment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parillo

Reaction score
I am purchasing a Vermeer 502 stumpgrinder and I am looking for opinions on investing the money to switch to greenteeth. Is it worth it or not?

Welcome to the site, I would suggest doing a search on this subject and read up about it before making the investment. There are those that swear the green teeth are the greatest thing since sliced bread and others, like me, that have tried them and gone another route after a short time. Vermeer is also coming out with a reversibile type tooth that has less weight than the green teeth and might be another option. Not sure if they are out yet and how well they perform. One of those look good on paper deals. For me after trying most everything the Rayco teeth and a retip option works best for me.
Good luck.

so far so good

I have the deep dish red tooth on both my vermeer 252 and 665A grinders. When the teeth on the 252 start to get dull, they still have plenty of life left for the 665A so, I find I get plenty of use out of tooth before it it truly dull.

I've heard mixed results on greenteeth as well. Some swear that they shorten bearing life. I haven't had any problems with such but have yet to run them 200 hours yet on my 252. From what I hear, that is when some Rayco owners are experience bearing failure. Perhaps, it's a Rayco bearing isssue?

Anyhow, I love them. Extremely easy to change and wear very well. On my 665A, I can usually get at least 20 hours of grinding on an edge - sometimes more if I'm only grinding stumps and not concrete and rocks.

I think vermeer finally got the point from those of us in the field that their old-style teeth are junk and a total pain to switch out. I haven't tried the yellowjacket system but probably would on a vermeer machine before trying greenteeth just because they're engineered for it. If you're machine is new, trying something other than a vermeer tooth could invalidate your warranty so you may want to consider that.

Arbor pro makes a vaild point, my local dealer made it very clear that the warranty was void on transmission parts on my new 60tx when I replaced my 65hp FERMEX grinder and spec. deep dish reds on the 60tx ! The fermex had 36 teeth and I found very good wear on teeth and pockets however when changed to the 60tx with 30 teeth I found much more pocket wear and tooth damage. I still run 700 deepdish on my 27hp danequip which has 8 teeth and swear by them. Having had a 502 I would suggest looking at the 900 reds as I reckon they might suit the lower hp ? All that said have you thought of the sandvik dura disk ? Im running my carlton 8018 100hp and carlton 2010 on the sandvik wheel, the 27hp 2010 has 30 teeth and cuts like a dream.

Using Green Teeth voids the manufacturer's warranty? The word "warranty" doesn't appear on their website anywhere. link

Yes !! I meant Vermeer would not cover transmission claims if I used greenteeth, although Iam told you can purchase greenteeth at some Vermeer dealers in the USA ? Maybe it's a european thing ?

The voiding warrenty issue sounds like a ploy to make you buy the Vermeer tooth. The Vermeer dealer here was selling the Greenteeth before the Yellowjacket talk all started.

I am sure Vermeer developed the Yellowjacket after they saw how many people were running the Greenteeth.

If the gearbox is really that sensitive do you really want it???

The Sandvik teeth work well. I for one am glad to see all the options available!!!

I appreciate the insight i ended up going with the Rayco super teeth and they work great!

When they get worn and are ready to replace, check with Demott tool on this site for retipping options. Good folks to work with. :)

Rayco bearing fix

I am purchasing a Vermeer 502 stumpgrinder and I am looking for opinions on investing the money to switch to greenteeth. Is it worth it or not?

Concerning Rayco bearings, replace the relube bearings with sealed bearings, it works for me, after many years of bearing problems.

Sealed Bearings???????

Interesting, how many hours have you gotten with them, and on what machine. I am runing the 700's on my 1635 Jr.

Interesting, how many hours have you gotten with them, and on what machine. I am runing the 700's on my 1635 Jr.

I have a Rayco 1625 Super Jr., and have fought the bearing problem for years. One of my customers had worked for years in the mining industry, and said that in the mining invironment, relube bearing won't hold up, even with good covers over the grease tips , meaning, dirt and dust is forced into the bearing by material pressure, and ,or, when greasing.I changed bearing type,
I could hardly get 4 months out of a relube in this Florida sand, sealed bearings 18 months, and still running, Good luck.

I have a Rayco 1625 Super Jr., and have fought the bearing problem for years. One of my customers had worked for years in the mining industry, and said that in the mining invironment, relube bearing won't hold up, even with good covers over the grease tips , meaning, dirt and dust is forced into the bearing by material pressure, and ,or, when greasing.I changed bearing type,
I could hardly get 4 months out of a relube in this Florida sand, sealed bearings 18 months, and still running, Good luck.

I just walked out to my shop, checked my hours, 354 hours on the sealed bearings, I'm using 700 red low-pro teeth, and by the way, I sharpen my own teeth with a drill press and bench grinder, using a 2 inch diamond wheel, I usually get 5 sharpenings out of a tooth, if I don't wait til the are too badly worn. Good diamond wheels are less than $100, so the tooth cost is a almost nil, considering a tooth cost $10, Hope this info helped, good day.

I just walked out to my shop, checked my hours, 354 hours on the sealed bearings, I'm using 700 red low-pro teeth, and by the way, I sharpen my own teeth with a drill press and bench grinder, using a 2 inch diamond wheel, I usually get 5 sharpenings out of a tooth, if I don't wait til the are too badly worn. Good diamond wheels are less than $100, so the tooth cost is a almost nil, considering a tooth cost $10, Hope this info helped, good day.

Checked my records, replaced the relube bearings on 6/24/11, so its just over a year on the sealed bearings, but I do large stumps, 3 to 5 ft, oak, usually I do this in 36 inch passes through the job to include the root platform, I had bumper stickers made for my machine and truck bumper, it says, "A man and his Stumpgrinder, it's a beautiful thing." get a lot of smiles, but also people remember me, good sales pitch, I'm a happy man, good day.

Latest posts

Back